Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I didn't think wagons could do that...  (Read 1020 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I didn't think wagons could do that...
« on: April 05, 2020, 11:22:45 am »

At the first autumn arrived, I realized I didn't have either a trade depot or a wagon access. Somehow the trade depot was finished in the nick of time, and I saw the wagons arriving (somehow missed the arrival message with my own pausing), but the trade depot is in my recessed courtyard (13*13 area channeled one level down into the ground), in the process of being decked over, with two single tile holes in the roof at two corners. Somehow the wagon managed to go down one of these holes and unload their goods.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: I didn't think wagons could do that...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 11:49:00 am »

That was a quantum wagon  :)
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 12:40:29 pm »

Huh. Could it be there was a three-tile gap the wagons slid through, that got sealed off after their arrival?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 12:46:45 pm »

Nope, they only need one usable ramp to be able to path through.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 12:34:31 am »

Neat! B) Does the Depot Access screen show a green path or does the caravan follow slightly different rules from the Depot Access display?

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 03:45:17 pm »

At the first autumn arrived, I realized I didn't have either a trade depot or a wagon access. Somehow the trade depot was finished in the nick of time, and I saw the wagons arriving (somehow missed the arrival message with my own pausing), but the trade depot is in my recessed courtyard (13*13 area channeled one level down into the ground), in the process of being decked over, with two single tile holes in the roof at two corners. Somehow the wagon managed to go down one of these holes and unload their goods.

Sounds like you might have created an unintentional - and temporary - wagon only entrance (even if it was not 'wagon-only'  ;)).  Basically wagons follow their own rules of movement between z-levels that are different from those of other creatures.  Feel free to add experimental data on this phenomenon!

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 05:53:55 pm »

There are a lot of odd things wagons can do, including dying and even worshipping gods.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 02:07:07 am »

The wagons weren't able to leave through the hole the entered, presumably because they entered in a corner with ramps on the corner tile and the two adjacent ones, but while they were visiting I dug away on of the side ones into a channel. I managed to open up the "real" wagon entrance before they went mad when due to leave though. Unfortunately, I didn't check the trade depot access.

I vaguely knew about wagons being able to use unusable ramps, but hadn't explored it since that's one exploit I'm not interested in (while freely using some other exploits), so I thought that required a normal wagon width access, which is incorrect, as pointed out.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 02:30:14 am »

Perhaps wagons, like cats, are a non-Newtonian fluid.