Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there any way how one may zoom to temple (or other location) in dwarf mode?  (Read 681 times)

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or is it necessary to go through the entire fortress and check every single zone?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile

The 'H'otkey interface let's you set custom zoom locations, if that's what you mean?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's the buildings menu "R" that lists everything, and DF allows you to name them (don't remember if zones associated with temples, etc. are named by default). I usually use the hotkeys vjek refers to, however, to set up a set of standard zoom-to locations (typically surface, courtyard, workshops, tavern/temple/library level, entrance to each cavern, and magma workshops).

I find it help to have a standard basic fortress layout so you know where to look for the thing you're after, but if you've got 50 temples I guess the buildings menu with named zones might be faster than looking at each one with 'i' manually.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The 'H'otkey interface let's you set custom zoom locations, if that's what you mean?
No. I can use this to record arbitrary location and later zoom to them. It will not allow me to locate temple in an unknown location.

There's the buildings menu "R" that lists everything, and DF allows you to name them (don't remember if zones associated with temples, etc. are named by default).

I will check it! EDIT: not listed.

I usually use the hotkeys vjek refers to, however, to set up a set of standard zoom-to locations (typically surface, courtyard, workshops, tavern/temple/library level, entrance to each cavern, and magma workshops).
The same.

I find it help to have a standard basic fortress layout so you know where to look for the thing you're after, but if you've got 50 temples I guess the buildings menu with named zones might be faster than looking at each one with 'i' manually.
This is in a succession game, so everything is constructed by others.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 01:22:49 pm by mko »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As far as I can tell, all the zones are listed in the 'R' menu and you can zoom to them with 'q', but as they're zones you have to switch to 'i' to access them, and they're unnamed by default. In your place I'd probably go through every zone and name it for the convenience of both yourself and the next player (unless, of course, it's one of the games where the objective is to create as big a mess as possible for the next player, in which case I'd name only a few of them, and then with completely misleading names, and do the same with levers...).

Note that you can't zoom to temple/tavern/library "objects" as they're higher level entities, but only the resources they use, i.e. zones and rooms (and they can be spread out so e.g. the inn's rooms are in a different place than the inn itself, and the inn can have multiple zones as well)