Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a trick for ensuring nightmare+death gods?  (Read 1275 times)

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a trick for ensuring nightmare+death gods?
« on: March 09, 2020, 05:56:36 pm »

There are a lot of secrets that are locked behind nightmare+death gods. So I set nightmare and death sphere affinity and such to max for entities, but its still only about 1 world in 5 that has even a single combined nightmare+death god.

Is there some sort of trick to it?

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a trick for ensuring nightmare+death gods?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 03:44:27 am »

According to Toady, SPHERE_ALIGNMENT supposedly just affects the trade values for items. What you're looking for is RELIGION_SPHERE, which forces an entity to always generate a god in their pantheon with that sphere.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 04:07:33 am »

According to Toady, SPHERE_ALIGNMENT supposedly just affects the trade values for items. What you're looking for is RELIGION_SPHERE, which forces an entity to always generate a god in their pantheon with that sphere.
Oh, do you have a quote on what he actually said about the trade values? I've been trying to work out why my hobbit merchants are giving away all sorts of stuff for cheap and often free. That could be it.

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 08:26:31 am »

Oh, do you have a quote on what he actually said about the trade values? I've been trying to work out why my hobbit merchants are giving away all sorts of stuff for cheap and often free. That could be it.
I've only found a quote of the quote on my searching here. I wasn't sure if it was correct or not, and started a discussion on the wiki asking if anyone's investigated it but I've yet to receive any responses. But if you're noticing trade prices being affected (and Toady saying so :P), then I'm inclined to believe that's how it works.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 09:26:24 am »

This entire thread has me squinting my eyes very intensely.  ???

Even though objects cannot have a sphere association outside of being the generated divine metal, it still somehow affects them in trade. The only thing i can think of is the hides of animals, which could probably be shown by having a [ANIMAL] entity arguement to have something with a sphere (a fire salamander or domestic fire imp) they prefer and one they do not (a water sphere creature) then compare them at a later stage.

I haven't seen any proof that dwarves over-charge for minerals or alter their goods, though POSSIBLY it affects their interest in metal weapons in the trade agreements.

To the OP

In 47.04 with the corrections to religions, fixed pantheon gods should work just fine and additional ones are rare/uncommon. Clowns have their own external tag of [RULER_SPREADS_EVIL_SPHERES] or something like (i forget specific wording) that will make them generate that added with the implementation of 47.01's changes to evil biomes.

• Just adding a higher proportion to the naturally evil areas dubbed 'primordial evil' by toady in advanced or file worldgen settings may help for your own needs, supplimenting your own maps with your modifications is a very helpful accessory
However if its sufficiently evil enough, giving a dark fortress a correlating evil pantheon may co-ordinate the clown-leader into representing the one you want i think from my memory of using pantheons & clowns in 44.12 . OR by deleting the clown-types from worldgen and inserting your own [UNIQUE_DEMON], create subtypes of the entity civilizations attuned physically and mentally representative.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 09:49:18 am »

Couldnt track down the original post, but i did find this in a 2011 march thread reply 2 months prior

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from:  NW_Kohaku
    If you are planning on changing the sphere system, how are you planning on changing it?  Are you still planning on introducing spheres as a replacement for the simpler Good/Evil Benign/Savage system of biomes, and if so, how far down are you planning on consolidating spheres (since it would be almost impossible to have different biomes and creatures for 128 different spheres)?

Some of the spheres definitely won't matter as much.  A sphere is really just a hard-coded concept, something that should be a basic idea that doesn't really need to be moddable, much like "MATERIAL" or "COLOR" (though moddable extensions of spheres could end up happening).  If anything, the sphere list is going to grow but the sphere list used for regions in any meaningful way will be smaller.  There isn't a specific plan at this point.  I'd like to include as many as possible, especially because it aligns with the deities, etc., but realistically many spheres are going to be shafted, with regions that should have a given sphere association moving over to "friend/parent/child" spheres with meaningful region interactions, etc.

Oh boy how this has aged quite a bit in 9 years.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 05:11:56 pm »

This entire thread has me squinting my eyes very intensely.  ???

Even though objects cannot have a sphere association outside of being the generated divine metal, it still somehow affects them in trade. The only thing i can think of is the hides of animals, which could probably be shown by having a [ANIMAL] entity arguement to have something with a sphere (a fire salamander or domestic fire imp) they prefer and one they do not (a water sphere creature) then compare them at a later stage.

I haven't seen any proof that dwarves over-charge for minerals or alter their goods, though POSSIBLY it affects their interest in metal weapons in the trade agreements.
I'll throw you a small save during hobbit trading season if you'd like to take a look. Just giving away iron swords and their tiny suits of armour for free while charging regular prices for unicorn cheese (don't eat too much at once!).

I've often wondered (and never Scienced) what I did to cause it. Kind of like it as a "feature" though so not complaining. Dwarves and humans continue to trade regularly, so it's not anything on the Dwarves' side.

--
Looking at the raws, it must be Darkness Death and War at -15000 that does it (with food and revelry at +15000).

Thought this was just effecting their naming choices (hobbit civs and hamlets all have jolly, foody names).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 05:37:12 pm by Shonai_Dweller »