Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yield, fracture, elasticity, Material properties and where to find them  (Read 1124 times)

mtboaty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello fellow dorfs, gobbos, tree huggers and "humans",
I would like to collect some sites, methods and knowledge on how to get or calculate material properties for dwarf fortress modding.

While trying to add corund or alumina to the game, i stumbled over the material properties and was not able to find everything i need, if anyone has some tips on this topic or if there is already a post that collects this stuff please let me know.

So for the properties i was able to do:
Yield was always the corresponding strength - > shear yield = shear strength however it is important to add the value with the correct unit of measurement.

The elasticity is either the 1/young's modulus or 1/bulk modulus.

Temperatures must be converted to °Urist.

Density has no spooky stuff just use the correct unit.

Then comes the fracture, how do we get that property?
Mighty armok help me, for I am lost in your worlds rules!

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile

DF Material Helper by Putnam is a go to, just read the instructions carefully and don't use the realistic values checkboxes (as the game does not use realistic values in those instances). Also, don't forget to compare the end results (particularly IMPACT and SHEAR yield/fracture values, as well as DENSITY) to the values of military-grade vanilla metals (copper, bronze, iron, steel) - to figure out where your new metals would lie on the efficiency scale.

Material Helper's page also contains the Matweb link where you may find the material properties you seek, but otherwise it can only be found through extensive googling, sometimes in the middle of some peer-reviewed article.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.