Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few rough enemy ideas.  (Read 796 times)

Sky-Streamer

• Bay Watcher
  • You are filled with AN EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF BOLTS.
    • View Profile
A few rough enemy ideas.
« on: February 01, 2020, 01:25:33 pm »

I decided to give myself a challenge to choose a few underground monsters to make enemies out of, and then draw. Although I haven't begun drawing, these are my personal favorite enemies I've come up with that are 'Strong Versions' to the currently present underground vermin and enemies.

- Quaking Maggot
The Quaking Maggot is an upgraded, powerful version of the normal Purring Maggot, and is only found in groups of one or two in the third cavern layer. It tracks a trail of thick, putrid milk behind itself as it slides by. It is docile until attacked, whereas it has a unique method of attack.
It will now begin to shake the fuck out. It will just move in random directions erratically, slamming their entire force into their attackers and potentially even knocking others or themselves into pits and water. In adventure mode, this attack causes an insane amount of noise.

- Shagging Rutherer
A rutherer that’s the size of a size of a cyclops, almost three times the size of a normal rutherer. Its entire body is covered in thick, long, red fur. Even as it steps, small clouds of dust will appear below it. Unlike its smaller, normally docile counterpart, it will attack anything that directly gets in it's way of food; Plump Helmets and other small plants. As long as you stay out of it's way, though, you'll be fine.

- Outstretcher
An Outstretcher is a rare, extremely violent form of the Reacher. It is twice as large as a Reacher, with large claws and a sharp, pointed tongue that it can use like a retractable spear. It is also very intelligent compared to its more common counterpart.
Outstretchers live in small hives of up to four more reachers, usually being the only of its kind. It is seen by Reachers as an alpha or leader, and as such, will typically command them like a small army.
Periodically, an Outstretcher will send a few Reachers out of their hive to search for food. The key with determining if a Reacher is wild or in cahoots with an Outstretcher is able to be determined by their behavior. If it sees a dwarf or adventurer, it will flee if it is in cahoots, and attack if it is not.
When it receives word of the presence of some dwarves, the Outstretcher will take two or three of its allies and begin to stalk you or your dwarves. If it is spotted while stalking, it will flee as soon as possible with the other reachers. If it is able to stalk you for long enough, then it will attack.
A message similar to the alert of a Gremlin’s presence will be announced when it is noticed, either when stalking or attacking. If it is attacking, then prepare to fight back fast. An Outstretcher’s goal is not to kill, but similar to a goblin snatcher, to kidnap any dwarves that it can. It will fight any dwarves it encounters, and when they are knocked unconscious, a reacher will take said dwarf and attempt to book it to the edge of the map. When a dwarf reaches the map’s edge, the outstretcher and its remaining allies will then flee as well.
If you have an outstretcher hive in your map, they will move in to the hive instead of the edge of the map. The dwarf will then be devoured while inside of the hive, and their equipment and bones can be thrown at you if you attack them, or they attack you.
An outstretcher will, if it attacks twice, also throw your dwarf’s equipment at your dwarves as ammunition, no matter what it is. Including their bones.

How are these ideas? Please, tell me what you all think!

i told you about those stairs man
i TOLD you DOG

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few rough enemy ideas.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 03:15:53 pm »

I admire the effort put into these, but I think these aren't appropriate for the game and the suggestions forum without a big of a redraw up to make your opening post presentable, normally swearing isn't involved in the pitch.

I like the Quaking maggot, since it has a consistent identity like a purring maggot you dont often see a lot of and gimmick, in game terms you can say it pushes with a lot of force when enraged and threatened? The other stuff like trailing milk behind it is a nice touch (though the game hasn't caught up to having snails and stuff leaving trails behind them).
  • Id quite like to put up with the challenge of taming these for their milk in fortress mode as a grump cavern cow-grub
Shagger Rutherer isn't really a approriate verb (since its a bit rude for the international audience) to use as opposed to a pronoun or prefix like 'Shaggy' (and other synomyns like 'long-haired' to describe it), though i have no qualms *about the concept of introducing a new semi-megabeast for the strength of the creature. Wouldnt be too hard to do with modding.

And erm, I dont know about the outstretcher since it sounds a bit outside of the game's scope just at the minute (all to hoping half of the enclosed comes true with extendable spear tongues, stalking and snatching dwarves to isolate etc.) but again i guess you could just mod in a larger reacher in general with more bells and whistles as a stronger variant or caste of reacher.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 06:10:55 pm »

Bear in mind that new creatures aren't going to be added. But by describing the traits of these things, systems that are able to procedurally generate them can be improved. So it's all good.

Disagree that swearing invalidates a suggestion. And call the beasts whatever you like, it's not like Toady will name them anything other than what he wants to name them.  :)

Sky-Streamer

• Bay Watcher
  • You are filled with AN EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF BOLTS.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 08:32:26 pm »

Wait, new enemies aren't going to be added? Where did Toady say that?

Also, I mainly said Shagging to make it a bit more different than my inspiration for the beast, the Shaggy Long Legs from pikmin 3.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 08:34:21 pm by Sky-Streamer »
i told you about those stairs man
i TOLD you DOG

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 11:35:23 pm »

Also, I mainly said Shagging to make it a bit more different than my inspiration for the beast, the Shaggy Long Legs from pikmin 3.

He never said that, so im sure we will get new creatures and such over time.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 12:22:11 am »

He never said that, so im sure we will get new creatures and such over time.
Absolutely sure about that? I may be misrecalling and he was only referring to fantasy mushrooms when he said he wouldn't be adding more and the focus would be on procedural generation from now on.

You may see new categories of beasts (as we saw new categories of night creatures in this last update) but I would say the chance of Toady coming up with a newly designed specific fantasy beast that can only be used in the most vanilla of fantasy slider settings is pretty low.

Well, this may not be the case, so whatever. Not going to go digging through the archives for this one.

Like I said, even if they are all procedurally generated from now on, he still needs an idea of what his engines should be capable of building so new creature ideas are always good. These all sound very cool.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 12:24:33 am by Shonai_Dweller »