Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A rough, end-game idea I had [!!SPOILER WARNING!!]  (Read 810 times)

Sky-Streamer

• Bay Watcher
  • You are filled with AN EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF BOLTS.
    • View Profile
A rough, end-game idea I had [!!SPOILER WARNING!!]
« on: January 30, 2020, 07:52:40 pm »

This end-game idea would be extremely difficult to find, or beat.
Within the underworld's eerie pits, you will be able to find, every once in a while, powerful, monstrous forms of evil-aligned monsters found elsewhere in your world (Manera, Beak Dogs) will exit and begin to attack you.
When a dwarf falls into this area, then they will die; However, if you create a cavein that makes a rock fall into the pit, a new event will occur.
When the cave-in takes place, the rock falls through the eerie pits and will reveal the bottom layer of it: Glowing Slade. Every cave-in will cause the tiles it hits to weaken a small amount, and a wave of 5-15 demons will approach from various parts of the map's outer edge. After three cave-ins, the slade will be destroyed, and;

The screen alerts the player of this, with the following message;
The core of our world has been breached!
A massive swarm of these creatures, similar to when breaching hell, will then be unleashed. However, these monsters are massive, demon-like versions of various entities, weak or strong, nice or evil, goblin or elf, that were killed at your fortress. Below this is a large, 40-Z-Level room that has a completely flat bottom made of Slade. In the center of the room are a large amount of these monsters swarming around a multi-tile monster. This monster is the core of the world.
This event can only happen anywhere, as this is the core of the world. The absolute center.

The monsters of the dead will be removed from "Deceased" and placed into "Others" until they are killed again. They typically have more limbs and abilities, and if they are still present, will at first only go for the dwarf that killed them. If none are present, it will kill any other life it can. The multi-tiled monster is the absolute center of the world, and is randomly generated in name and look, although typically has the same general attributes. A massive, non-mundane, non-sentient entity made out of some kind of metal or stone. It is impervious to cave-ins, as well. It is extremely difficult to kill.

If it is killed, no more creatures may be revived as monsters, but then the creatures will begin a frenzy. All of them will stop anything they are doing and slaughter anything and everything they can, including demons that are not their general kind (By General Kind, I mean those that were made within the core). Their abilities will constantly be active, constantly spewing webs and bursting flame. However, if they are all defeated, that is the end of it. The monsters will no longer be able to attack...
For now.

It may seem like nothing changes after this, but it does. For the next few years, no signs will be detected until a few new rumor types are discovered. This is, of course, the beginning of the end for not just the fortress, but the world at large.
This rumor will state that, somewhere in the world, a fissure has formed that leads deep underground. Over time, you'll obtain rumors that the fissure is growing slowly. The fissures will begin within 10 world-tiles of your fortress.
After the rumors say that a large system of caverns can be seen below the fissure, you can begin to have small 'Raids' by enemies from the cavern layers. Depending on how many cavern layers your world has, the longer it will take to reach the final parts.

Some time later, a few more fissures will begin to form around the world, not limited by the 10-tile radius. These fissures can make areas inaccesible, and even someday swallow your fortress. Yet, this is not the end of the event. For if it reaches large enough, the final affect begins to take form.

Void Tiles begin to form. When this happens, then within two months, an outpost liason will approach in an season, as long as you are able to be reached from the civilization, and alert you of the severity of the event, by saying this;
"Greetings f-from the mountainhomes/outer lands. I've come to i-inform you that large monsters are rising from the growing fissures across the world. Please stay safe. We don't know if we can survive this."
At this point, migrant waves will be slightly larger, and demon raids will periodically take place. The amount of demons will depend on how many void tiles there are in the world. Every 2 void tiles will amount to 1 more demon in a demon raid.

Areas near void tiles will turn into badlands, and evil areas will begin to form and spread around their locations. As the fissures grow larger and larger, you will begin to get larger and larger demon raids, and smaller and smaller migrant waves, and fewer and fewer visitors. After you obtain 50 void tiles in your world, you are greeted by the liason one final time, with a single wagon, carrying only food and drinks, as well as damaged animals. The guards will have a few injuries as well. They will say this;
"It's come to our attention that the demons of this world are beginning to overwealm all of us. I'd encourage you to lock yourselves away soon. I believe we're almost out of time to do so."

Thus begins the next age of the world, The Age of Decay. The time in which life fought its final battles against darkness.

Now, demons will sometimes appear on the borders of your map. Fissures can now clearly be seen on the world map. After a bit longer, then when 100 void tiles exist, then an announcement will alert you that you hear the earth shake in the distance. Then, an outpost liason will come to you one final time. This is what is said if the monarch is not present.
"We have to stop all of our trades and supplies. We're very sorry, but... T-the monarch is dead. We have no rulers remaining. Our final groups of dwarves are being evacuated into fortresses, hillocks as well. Please, prepare. I believe we are approaching the end...
This is what is said if the monarch is present.
"Greetings from the outer lands. We're afraid our colonies and holdings are dropping like flies... We may not be able to survive much longer. All but a few royal powers are left. Please, don't let our (king/queen) die. We must hold on!

Thus, the final age begins soon. The next few migrant waves will be small groups of damaged nobles and military dwarves, mostly. No more dwarven caravans will come. Finally, after the decay has been going on for so long, the fissures will spread more and more. When 10% of all tiles in the overworld are Void tiles, then the last age begins. And this, sadly, is where it all ends.
THE AGE OF SILENCE.

The Age of Silence is when life silently fell into the shadows. Demons now will walk among the surface like common animals. Badlands, Evil Biomes and Deserts will make up the world. The few remaining dwarves and peoples will be forced underground.
And when 50% of the world is made up of void tiles, the final event will occur...

!!!THE WORLD IS STARTING TO COLLAPSE!!!
This is the last part of the world's history. On the world map, you'll see large swathes of land disappear, and small clouds of smoke and magma mist rising, even capable of being seen in the world map. Larger and larger areas will be absorbed, and if you are lucky enough to survive until 95% of the world is void, then the screen will fade to black, and a rumble will be heard, followed by a massive crash.

Thus, that world ends when the entire world is consumed by the void.
i told you about those stairs man
i TOLD you DOG

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A rough, end-game idea I had [!!SPOILER WARNING!!]
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 08:14:30 pm »

Yes, it would be nice to see the simulation be good enough to able to come up with this set of events through it's various procedurally generated systems.
Mythgen seems to lay the foundations for Change and world ending apocalypses to be possible. As development continues hopefully we can get close.
Scripted stuff will be mostly gone by then of course.