Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attempting to recreate the pre 2014 dwarf mentality  (Read 1634 times)

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
Attempting to recreate the pre 2014 dwarf mentality
« on: May 23, 2020, 11:41:43 am »

With 44.x onwards the new mental systems dwarves have basically make a fort degenerate into a slow death from stress even with perfect play. While it can be a challenge to make some dwarves last long without a hitch, its not exactly FUN seeing dwarves one by one slip into obliviousness then catatonia, with the occasional berserk/stark mad/melancholic death.

What was Fun, was the old tantrum spirals and ever so slightly loopy mentality of dwarves having lost all their friends, family, limbs and more but they saw a fine pair of forgotten beast leather socks and so Urist Mcbadluck is ecstatic lately.
Then seeing him snap at his masterwork roast being eaten and punch the bridge only to drown in the magma moat as a result taking away several masterwork clothing, causing Urist McWeaver to get angry...

I figured a good place as any to start would be increasing the minimum and average of ANGER_PROPENSITY values and lowering ANXIETY_PROPENSITY/DEPRESSION_PROPENSITY in order to get the anger issues back and lower the seemingly endless amount of catatonic dwarves once I hit year 10-20 depending on how much of a damn I give to their thoughts.

I'm having a bit of a problem though replicating the second fundamental point- where Urist McHeadsmasher is cheered up to being ecstatic one day despite having been throwing tantrums all year.

The following points I'm a bit unsure of even after a couple of wiki trawls and I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on them:

1: Dwarf happiness does not appear to go up I'm not sure if this is simply memories constantly reliving being rained upon that one time, but it seems that positive mood modifiers for dwarves are not functioning properly and I can't work out why.
2: How to make positive thoughts overwrite negative ones I've provided my dwarves in two of my experimental fortresses every luxury they could have, yet they still complain about same old stuff.
Case in point one dwarf got married, and still complained unable to see family despite being locked in a 2x2 room with his spouse and child

Now I could lower the stress vulnerability thresholds to try and aid this but I'm unsure if reducing hte max value prevents full on insanity or not outside of artifact failure or unable to leave the map for visitors. I want to try and up the happiness modifiers to really get the mood swinging feeling back but I'm at a bit of a loss

Any ideas?
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Attempting to recreate the pre 2014 dwarf mentality
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 01:33:27 am »

Could make dwarves have a short memory, that should make them forget some bad thoughts more often, as well as the good ones too i suppose. I donno how that will affect the long term memories tho (like something so horrifying it gives them PTSD)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 03:39:15 am »

Incidentally, that is precisely the same as I´ve been trying.

My goal was to make dwarves who

a) can be happy if they have their basic needs fulfilled
b) will procreate, because I always wanted to have a legacy fort where population growth comes from births and not immigration
c) but the dwarves still should have some variation in their characters

So I modified the raws to turn my dwarves into horny happy campers.

My first attempt is working pretty well. My dwarves are ecstatic the whole time* and two marriages happened among the starting seven within the first couple of years, without having to lock them up in a marriage suite.

*: nothing bad happened so far, I don't know yet how well their moods will recover after some fun / accidents

Raw modifications:

High traits
   [PERSONALITY:LOVE_PROPENSITY:60:75:90]
   [PERSONALITY:LUST_PROPENSITY:60:75:90]
   [PERSONALITY:CHEER_PROPENSITY:60:75:90]
   [PERSONALITY:PERSEVERANCE_PROPENSITY:60:75:90]
   [PERSONALITY:FRIENDLINESS:60:75:90]
   [PERSONALITY:BRAVERY:60:75:90]
   [PERSONALITY:CONFIDENCE:60:75:90]
   [PERSONALITY:VANITY:60:75:90]
   [PERSONALITY:GRATITUDE:60:75:90]
   [PERSONALITY:HUMOR:60:75:90]
   [PERSONALITY:HOPEFUL:60:75:90]
   [PERSONALITY:CURIOUS:60:75:90]
   [PERSONALITY:PERFECTIONIST:60:75:90]
   [PERSONALITY:TOLERANT:60:75:90]
   [PERSONALITY:EMOTIONALLY_OBSESSIVE:60:75:90]
   [PERSONALITY:SWAYED_BY_EMOTIONS:60:75:90]
   [PERSONALITY:ALTRUISM:60:75:90]
   [PERSONALITY:DUTIFULNESS:60:75:90]
   [PERSONALITY:TRUST:60:75:90]
   [PERSONALITY:GREGARIOUSNESS:60:75:90]
   [PERSONALITY:ART_INCLINED:80:90:100]
   [PERSONALITY:ORDERLINESS:80:90:100]

Low traits
   [PERSONALITY:EXCITEMENT_SEEKING:10:20:30]
   [PERSONALITY:CLOSEMINDED:10:20:30]
   [PERSONALITY:PRIVACY:10:20:30]   
   [PERSONALITY:CRUELTY:10:20:30]   
   [PERSONALITY:VENGEFUL:10:20:30]
   [PERSONALITY:DISCORD:10:20:30]
   [PERSONALITY:WASTEFULNES:10:20:30]
   [PERSONALITY:HATE_PROPENSITY:10:20:30]
   [PERSONALITY:ENVY_PROPENSITY:10:20:30]
   [PERSONALITY:DEPRESSION_PROPENSITY:10:20:30]
   [PERSONALITY:ANGER_PROPENSITY:10:20:30]
   [PERSONALITY:ANXIETY_PROPENSITY:10:20:30]
   [PERSONALITY:IMMODERATION:20:55:80]
   [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:15:30:45]

Average traits
   [PERSONALITY:BASHFUL:15:45:80]
   [PERSONALITY:SINGLEMINDED:20:55:85]
   [PERSONALITY:GREED:25:50:75]
   [PERSONALITY:VIOLENT:25:50:75]
   [PERSONALITY:DISDAIN_ADVICE:25:50:75]
   [PERSONALITY:AMBITION:25:50:75]
   [PERSONALITY:IMMODESTY:25:50:75]
   [PERSONALITY:PRIDE:25:50:75]
   [PERSONALITY:THOUGHTLESSNESS:25:50:75]
   [PERSONALITY:ASSERTIVENESS:25:50:75]
   [PERSONALITY:ACTIVITY_LEVEL:25:50:75]

Must breed..
   [CASTE:FEMALE]
      The gender tag lets it know how breeding works.
      [FEMALE]
      [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
      [ORIENTATION:MALE:0:0:100]
      [ORIENTATION:FEMALE:100:0:0]
      To add beards, put square brackets around the following:
      BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS
   [CASTE:MALE]
      [MALE]
      [SET_BP_GROUP:BY_TYPE:LOWERBODY][BP_ADD_TYPE:GELDABLE]
      [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS]
      [ORIENTATION:FEMALE:0:0:100]
      [ORIENTATION:MALE:100:0:0]

Hope you find some inspiration in there to come up with your "ideal dwarf" ideas. Do let me know if you come up with additional improvements / science!  :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 03:51:44 am by Quarque »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 06:53:25 am »

PTW
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 06:00:24 pm »

Okay, a few years later:

My fort of 7 starting dwarves + 1 immigrant went through their first trouble: they witnessed deaths, had to carry away mangled goblin corpses, they retched on miasma and some were lightly wounded in battle.

And all of them are still ecstatic. That is without excessive luxuries: just moderate bedrooms, a simple tavern and a plain all-purpose temple. All of them are good friends and / or lovers, and two married couples produced 4 children. Their thoughts are a wall of happiness.

The miasma had the biggest impact so far, leading to character changes for several dwarves, but it just made all of them stronger.

Perhaps this is a little TOO good, maybe these parameters should be toned down a little for balance. But it sure seems to be working!  8)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 06:04:08 pm by Quarque »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 06:02:08 pm »

double post deleted

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 02:11:10 am »

Now I could lower the stress vulnerability thresholds to try and aid this but I'm unsure if reducing hte max value prevents full on insanity or not outside of artifact failure or unable to leave the map for visitors. I want to try and up the happiness modifiers to really get the mood swinging feeling back but I'm at a bit of a loss

Any ideas?
After re-reading your post I will spam one more reply. Low negative traits prevent dwarves from getting angry and depressed in the first place, but that is not what you are after. To get swings back upward, I think you should leave negative traits as they are but maximize the positive traits: optimism, cheerfullness, gregariousness, etc.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 06:51:34 am »

Hmm,I thought most of the positive traits being upped didn't affect anything after the 2 forts I ran to year 12 yesterday. They had practically identical first 8 years and capped at 150 dwarves for testing purposes. The major difference at year 8 was a necromancer spooking several dwarves through a wall, but that was under control swiftly
Both fortresses had to clean up 2 sieges each, both with zero casualties on our side, but lots of dead gobbos in the blade traps

I no longer have the saves on account of erasing the world by mistake (got the name mixed up) but the results were as follows

First fort with base positive traits at normal levels, 8 went insane, 15 were going through various emotional trauma. Only 2 recovered through careful intervention of priests/library/military/locking in a 2x2 with family

Second fort with positive traits upped to 40:60:100 (where the necromancer came) 11 went insane, 10 emotionally trauma, only a single dwarf recovered sufficiently.

I did read somewhere on the wiki that [BRAVERY] makes a difference to stress build up, though I suspect it also effects chances of dwarves having discipline which DOES have a significant effect in battle at least.

That said, I did have a lot of dwarves in both forts that weren't ecstatic, but were definately happier so to speak. Rain still caused a lot of issues in the first couple of years and they were some of the ones that went insane. in both forts the starting 7 I lost 2 of to insanity due to rain.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 07:01:56 am by recon1o6 »
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 08:50:19 am »

Second fort with positive traits upped to 40:60:100 (where the necromancer came) 11 went insane, 10 emotionally trauma, only a single dwarf recovered sufficient

40:60:100 is only slightly higher than normal, though. The second number is the average and matters most, so that would be just 10% above the standard.
What happens if you really crank them up? To say, 80:90:100? It needs to be strong in order to get them out of their depression - after all what we want is basically a bipolar dwarf: wild swings between suicidal and on top of the world.

By the way, from my current fort I have an impression that socializing is by far the strongest source of happiness and research the weakest. In fact, I feel that a library is basically a waste of time for a dwarf, because he would be happier if he spent that time on more socializing. Your fort is probably better off without a library.

So here is my next experiment:

Modify their personality to be as social as possible.
Then also modify their racial values, to make them like the romances they will be getting and care less about books. (racial values are in entity_default)

Values:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Personality-wise, just going to focus on high social skills this time, low abstract inclination and leave the rest on default..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 02:38:42 pm by Quarque »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 12:26:20 pm »

So, reporting on the experiment. I have run a small fortress (population limit 12) for ten years.

Extra-social, book-averse dwarves are happy dwarves, just as I suspected. The dwarves have been subject to:

- NOT GETTING THEIR FAVORITE FOOD + not seeing their family
- bored by hard work & no excitement (I never had a military, just using lazy weapon traps and some war animals)
- dead pets
- destroyed masterworks
- lots of rain, sun and cave adaptation
- mutilated dead goblins
- miasma
- to make it a little worse, I dumped a goblin corpse inside of the Tavern and let it stay there for a year

Result: some of the dwarves dropped from ecstatic down to happy for a while. Once I removed the corpse, they slowly got back to ecstatic.
Also two spontaneous marriages, lots of love and friendship.

I'm pretty happy with these tweaks, though maybe it's still a little too good.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 12:41:15 pm by Quarque »

eurydike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 04:57:45 pm »

I'm not sure if I'm experiencing this to the degree you people are, but there's three things which I've done while playing that probably relate to the issue. And they are:

1. I haven't had the dwarves really engaging in combat, or at least, I've tried to avoid it. My preferrable way of playing dwarf fortress is not very militaristic and more focused around making fort designs and trying to learn the various industries. So this is probably a big factor, as I've noted that dwarves are traumatized by combat. However, I've also tried to make it so that eventually if I would have a military, I'd have only the dwarves who can handle stress and who are bold doing those actual confrontations. I haven't really gotten around to actually doing that, while I've been busy with the "more important stuff" like making furniture.

2. I've limited the fortress population, which allows keeping track of what the dwarves are like and what they're into. I've changed the value every now and then, last fort attempt I think I had the limit at 28 dwarves (But hard cap was much higher so there should still be pregnancies and births and visitors could join and so on).

3. I also made this dwarf template to help working out what each dwarf should be doing. It takes a lot of time to write down the details, especially since it's an actual writer document rather than a chart (which would be faster to edit). So I'll post an example of what that means exactly here..

https://www.docdroid.net/ZZGiBFH/dwarves-template-example-pdf

Unfortunately dwarf fortress crashed amidst this round so it's somewhat early into the fort. It's probably hard to decipher what the abbreviations mean, but I'll write an explanation here, incase someone is interested in this. The properties I've associated with the dwarves don't actually correspond with the hard coded dwarf properties, but I almost prefer it that way. The idea is that I try to take a look at what the dwarves are like, and what they're into, and the descriptions of their personality, and then codify that information into this template, which I then use for trying to work out what jobs each dwarf should have. Additionally I'm also not engaging in butchering animals, because that seems kind of bad and unnecessary - speaking of which, it's kind of troublesome when a possessed dwarf requires bones, as if there's no deceased creature left around by fighting wild animals and the like, then this means that they'll get somekind of inevitable death sentence. Which by the way also spawned this idea that I thought it might be interesting if a cavern tree would yield bony fruits (Vegan bones in other words), to counteract this possession problem.

Anyway here's the explanations for the codification:

The general rule is that uppercase is mostly used for a positive quality, and lowercase is used for negative quality. No letter means somewhat average.

Physical properties
First cluster listed as "Sw/Tf/Et/Ac" refers to the physical attributes of the dwarves.
Sw is for Strong/weak, Tf is for Tough/flimsy, Et is for High endurance t is for tiring and Ac is for Agile and clumsy.
So I can for an example look at if the dwarves tire easy to determine if they should be doing something arduous. Like hauling heavy items, mining or like.

Properties relevant for physical activity
The second cluster "Kk/Ss/Ff" refers to Kinesthetic sense, Spatial sense and Focus. I'm not sure if these are the properties in the code which actually affect physical activities, but that's the way I think it kind of should be. I'm also using the Spatial sense attribute for determining whether a dwarf can become an Architect. Typically for any military related dwarf I would want to have at least well above average physical properties and properties relevant to physical activity. Spatial sense would be more relevant for archers, and kinesthetic more relevant for melee. For another example I try to set Potters to have both above average Kinesthetic and Spatial sense, if possible.

Classical intellect
The third cluster "Ii/Mm/Aa" codifies classical intellect, where I is Intellect, M is for Memory and A is for Analytical abilities. Perhaps verbal abilities should also be in this cluster, but I've placed them in the next one instead.

Properties relevant for social interaction
The fourth cluster "Ss/Ee/Ww/Pp" codifies `Social perception` `Empathy` `Verbal fluency (Words)` and `Patience`. Typically I would want only dwarves who have high empathy to be doing caring tasks such as taking care of animals and hauling animals. I'm also considering Patience relevant for farming, as you've to wait for crops to grow, I think impatient dwarves would enjoy farming less than the patient ones.

Intuitive and artistic talents
The fifth cluster "Mm/Cc/Ii" loosely describes fluid artistic ability and things of that like. M is for Musical talent, C is for creativity, and I is for intuition. For an example, I'm trying to set Cooks to have high Intuition, Creativity and Memory (from the classical intellect cluster), as I think cooking requires intuitive ideation of what's going to work, and eating the same food every time seems kind of boring, so creativity would probably make for better chefs, and cooking probably involves memorization of various recipes. I have no idea if these attributes actually impact cooking, but anyhow I find this kind of thing kind of enjoyable - but also kind of arduous.

Mental toughness related properties
The sixth cluster "Ss/Bb/Ww/Pi/Hl" codifies properties relevant to mental or psychological resilience and or strength. S is for Stress handling, B is for boldness, W is for willpower, Pi is kind of a mixed thing where I'm looking for cues of `Perseverance` and weighing them against cues for `Impulsivity`. I'm fairly sure that's not the way it's coded in DF, but that's the way this assignment works. The last pair Hl is for attitude or properties related to 'Hard working' and the lowercase 'l' is for leisurely/lazy. I'm also using the Hardworking property as a cue for cooperative quality later on. I've also tried to set it so that only dwarves who can handle stress do burials or refuse hauling.

Decency and proper behavior
The seventh cluster "Ji/Hc/Om/Aa/Ps/Dd/Ee" is kind of like the ethical, moral or decency cluster. Ji is for Justince/injustice, Honest/cunning, Organized/messy, Altruistic/(not)altruistic, Perfectionist/sloppy, Decorum and Eloquence. How to exactly measure or describe these in real world terms, as a side point, is a bit confusing. Is pompous speech eloquent, for an example? I suppose it is, on some level. Using language precisely and in a refined way though is another way to measure eloquence, as opposed to using language sloppily and rudely (cursing for an example). Same could be said of decorum or outward appearance and clothing. Appropriate or flashy, in other words? Being clothed in rags and so forth. Anyhow these I'm trying to use for cues like who is suitable for a bookkeeper, or who is suitable for a manager, or if they should be cleaning (if they're messy, they probably don't enjoy cleaning that much), or if they should be crafting something involving precious resources (E.g. I'd prefer if possible that a perfectionist were making armour from rare metals).

Social attitude and style
The eight cluster "Cc/Ss/Tt/Ap/Ff" stands mostly for socially relevant attitudes, interests and habits. C is for competive, S for prosocial and s for anti-social, T for teamwork, and capital F is for fighting and fighting related skills or how peaceful the dwarves are. Lower case f typically means the dwarf is not interested in fighting related skills.

General interest categories
The ninth cluster "Cc/Ii/Aa/Nn/Ss" refers to what the dwarves are interested in broadly, e.g. Craftdwarfship, I is for information/introspection/abstract thinking (mostly using it in the context of whether the dwarf is suitable to be a scholar or a doctor), A is for art, N is for attitude towards nature (If they should be outside, involved with farming, animals, herbalism etc.) Usually I'm just trying to make sure that those dwarves who are into nature, get to go outside, and those who are not, don't have to go outside. Everyone else is more or less variable. S refers to development of skills. Also I include the `dream` category automatically here. If a dwarf wants to create a masterwork, then I think they are interested in Craftdwarfship, etc. This I think is relevant for trying to find jobs that the dwarves will enjoy, thus improving dwarven moods, hopefully.

Couple of additional attitudes
The last 10th cluster "Pw/Mm/Ai" contains some fairly niche or straightforward purposes, Pw is for Peace/war evaluation. I try to make sure that Pacifist dwarves don't have to engage in actual combat, as that would seem wrong. M refers for attitude towards the Market, and if the dwarves are Materialistic. I'm mostly using this to check if the dwarf can be a broker or not. The last Ai is something I've not sorted out myself either yet, but it's intended to be some general measure for whether the dwarves prefer to be engaged in a lot of Activity involving other dwarves, or if they are more like introverts who would prefer jobs they can do on their own. I'm using this mostly to check if the dwarf should be a tavern keeper or a performer, but haven't wrapped my head around how to exactly declare if a dwarf is A or i or neither in this context.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 05:01:37 pm by eurydike »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 08:43:54 pm »

Can check out the stress rebalancing I've done in OldGenesis.
My goal is to have max 7% of population get very stressed. Due to combat and three blood spatter syndromes. If no blood or bodyparts anywhere, everyone should feel fine.

[PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:9:33:95] adjusted 2020-04
etc.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Drakonis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2024, 12:02:19 pm »

I'm not sure if I'm experiencing this to the degree you people are, but there's three things which I've done while playing that probably relate to the issue. And they are:

1. I haven't had the dwarves really engaging in combat, or at least, I've tried to avoid it. My preferrable way of playing dwarf fortress is not very militaristic and more focused around making fort designs and trying to learn the various industries. So this is probably a big factor, as I've noted that dwarves are traumatized by combat. However, I've also tried to make it so that eventually if I would have a military, I'd have only the dwarves who can handle stress and who are bold doing those actual confrontations. I haven't really gotten around to actually doing that, while I've been busy with the "more important stuff" like making furniture.

2. I've limited the fortress population, which allows keeping track of what the dwarves are like and what they're into. I've changed the value every now and then, last fort attempt I think I had the limit at 28 dwarves (But hard cap was much higher so there should still be pregnancies and births and visitors could join and so on).

3. I also made this dwarf template to help working out what each dwarf should be doing. It takes a lot of time to write down the details, especially since it's an actual writer document rather than a chart (which would be faster to edit). So I'll post an example of what that means exactly here..

https://www.docdroid.net/ZZGiBFH/dwarves-template-example-pdf

Unfortunately dwarf fortress crashed amidst this round so it's somewhat early into the fort. It's probably hard to decipher what the abbreviations mean, but I'll write an explanation here, incase someone is interested in this. The properties I've associated with the dwarves don't actually correspond with the hard coded dwarf properties, but I almost prefer it that way. The idea is that I try to take a look at what the dwarves are like, and what they're into, and the descriptions of their personality, and then codify that information into this template, which I then use for trying to work out what jobs each dwarf should have. Additionally I'm also not engaging in butchering animals, because that seems kind of bad and unnecessary - speaking of which, it's kind of troublesome when a possessed dwarf requires bones, as if there's no deceased creature left around by fighting wild animals and the like, then this means that they'll get somekind of inevitable death sentence. Which by the way also spawned this idea that I thought it might be interesting if a cavern tree would yield bony fruits (Vegan bones in other words), to counteract this possession problem.

Anyway here's the explanations for the codification:

The general rule is that uppercase is mostly used for a positive quality, and lowercase is used for negative quality. No letter means somewhat average.

Physical properties
First cluster listed as "Sw/Tf/Et/Ac" refers to the physical attributes of the dwarves.
Sw is for Strong/weak, Tf is for Tough/flimsy, Et is for High endurance t is for tiring and Ac is for Agile and clumsy.
So I can for an example look at if the dwarves tire easy to determine if they should be doing something arduous. Like hauling heavy items, mining or like.

Properties relevant for physical activity
The second cluster "Kk/Ss/Ff" refers to Kinesthetic sense, Spatial sense and Focus. I'm not sure if these are the properties in the code which actually affect physical activities, but that's the way I think it kind of should be. I'm also using the Spatial sense attribute for determining whether a dwarf can become an Architect. Typically for any military related dwarf I would want to have at least well above average physical properties and properties relevant to physical activity. Spatial sense would be more relevant for archers, and kinesthetic more relevant for melee. For another example I try to set Potters to have both above average Kinesthetic and Spatial sense, if possible.

Classical intellect
The third cluster "Ii/Mm/Aa" codifies classical intellect, where I is Intellect, M is for Memory and A is for Analytical abilities. Perhaps verbal abilities should also be in this cluster, but I've placed them in the next one instead.

Properties relevant for social interaction
The fourth cluster "Ss/Ee/Ww/Pp" codifies `Social perception` `Empathy` `Verbal fluency (Words)` and `Patience`. Typically I would want only dwarves who have high empathy to be doing caring tasks such as taking care of animals and hauling animals. I'm also considering Patience relevant for farming, as you've to wait for crops to grow, I think impatient dwarves would enjoy farming less than the patient ones.

Intuitive and artistic talents
The fifth cluster "Mm/Cc/Ii" loosely describes fluid artistic ability and things of that like. M is for Musical talent, C is for creativity, and I is for intuition. For an example, I'm trying to set Cooks to have high Intuition, Creativity and Memory (from the classical intellect cluster), as I think cooking requires intuitive ideation of what's going to work, and eating the same food every time seems kind of boring, so creativity would probably make for better chefs, and cooking probably involves memorization of various recipes. I have no idea if these attributes actually impact cooking, but anyhow I find this kind of thing kind of enjoyable - but also kind of arduous.

Mental toughness related properties
The sixth cluster "Ss/Bb/Ww/Pi/Hl" codifies properties relevant to mental or psychological resilience and or strength. S is for Stress handling, B is for boldness, W is for willpower, Pi is kind of a mixed thing where I'm looking for cues of `Perseverance` and weighing them against cues for `Impulsivity`. I'm fairly sure that's not the way it's coded in DF, but that's the way this assignment works. The last pair Hl is for attitude or properties related to 'Hard working' and the lowercase 'l' is for leisurely/lazy. I'm also using the Hardworking property as a cue for cooperative quality later on. I've also tried to set it so that only dwarves who can handle stress do burials or refuse hauling.

Decency and proper behavior
The seventh cluster "Ji/Hc/Om/Aa/Ps/Dd/Ee" is kind of like the ethical, moral or decency cluster. Ji is for Justince/injustice, Honest/cunning, Organized/messy, Altruistic/(not)altruistic, Perfectionist/sloppy, Decorum and Eloquence. How to exactly measure or describe these in real world terms, as a side point, is a bit confusing. Is pompous speech eloquent, for an example? I suppose it is, on some level. Using language precisely and in a refined way though is another way to measure eloquence, as opposed to using language sloppily and rudely (cursing for an example). Same could be said of decorum or outward appearance and clothing. Appropriate or flashy, in other words? Being clothed in rags and so forth. Anyhow these I'm trying to use for cues like who is suitable for a bookkeeper, or who is suitable for a manager, or if they should be cleaning (if they're messy, they probably don't enjoy cleaning that much), or if they should be crafting something involving precious resources (E.g. I'd prefer if possible that a perfectionist were making armour from rare metals).

Social attitude and style
The eight cluster "Cc/Ss/Tt/Ap/Ff" stands mostly for socially relevant attitudes, interests and habits. C is for competive, S for prosocial and s for anti-social, T for teamwork, and capital F is for fighting and fighting related skills or how peaceful the dwarves are. Lower case f typically means the dwarf is not interested in fighting related skills.

General interest categories
The ninth cluster "Cc/Ii/Aa/Nn/Ss" refers to what the dwarves are interested in broadly, e.g. Craftdwarfship, I is for information/introspection/abstract thinking (mostly using it in the context of whether the dwarf is suitable to be a scholar or a doctor), A is for art, N is for attitude towards nature (If they should be outside, involved with farming, animals, herbalism etc.) Usually I'm just trying to make sure that those dwarves who are into nature, get to go outside, and those who are not, don't have to go outside. Everyone else is more or less variable. S refers to development of skills. Also I include the `dream` category automatically here. If a dwarf wants to create a masterwork, then I think they are interested in Craftdwarfship, etc. This I think is relevant for trying to find jobs that the dwarves will enjoy, thus improving dwarven moods, hopefully.

Couple of additional attitudes
The last 10th cluster "Pw/Mm/Ai" contains some fairly niche or straightforward purposes, Pw is for Peace/war evaluation. I try to make sure that Pacifist dwarves don't have to engage in actual combat, as that would seem wrong. M refers for attitude towards the Market, and if the dwarves are Materialistic. I'm mostly using this to check if the dwarf can be a broker or not. The last Ai is something I've not sorted out myself either yet, but it's intended to be some general measure for whether the dwarves prefer to be engaged in a lot of Activity involving other dwarves, or if they are more like introverts who would prefer jobs they can do on their own. I'm using this mostly to check if the dwarf should be a tavern keeper or a performer, but haven't wrapped my head around how to exactly declare if a dwarf is A or i or neither in this context.

I've been trying to use this approach through Dwarf Therapist. Giving higher weights to fixed stuff like preferences and smaller to skills that can be trained "at will"

Need to find a better way to edit roles tho