Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Socks/chausse under armor  (Read 4884 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Socks/chausse under armor
« on: October 28, 2019, 07:54:49 pm »

I modded boots to be [SHAPED], which was supposed to help with getting them to wear footwear under them, and then I modded chausse to be available to dwarves and also so it's an armor item and thus not reserved by civilians. And of course it didn't help much.

Out of my whole squad of 8, literally 0 of them were able to figure out how to wear 1 chausse and 1 boot each on both feet. I'm using exact matches and replace clothing. I started out with boots as the more important of the two and when I produced chausse after they were already wearing boots, all of them wore a chausse on 1 foot but not the other. When I started producing more boots some of them ended up worse than before, namely wearing chausse on each foot, but a boot on only 1 of them.

I also modded mittens to be military-only (as in, [ARMORLEVEL:1]) and they don't seem to be struggling with those. Footwear is however still a nightmare. Backpacks and flasks also tend to be problematic, as they will sometimes get a [material] specific backpack or flask assigned (according to Dwarf Therapist) and the only fix I was able to figure out for this was discharging and drafting them again.

Are there any known solutions to this, including modding?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Socks/chausse under armor
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 08:59:22 pm »

You can also destroy the assigned flask - it's specific for per-item, and kept even when forbidden (can happen with every military item).

I've also made a script to fix it.

Can't say much on the chausse problem however.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 11:50:34 pm »

I have a large quantity of dwarfs with properly equipped socks and [SHAPED] high boots, using Over Clothing and Exact Matches.

The use of Over Clothing might cause different results, and chausses are not the same as socks. So what happens if you change a squad's uniform to remove the chausses and add non-modded socks?

Note to all, someone recently added an excellent new image link in the wiki's Armor page.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 04:35:27 am »

That script sounds good, I might try it out later.

Over clothing was exactly what I was supposed to turn off to avoid retarded behavior where they'd refuse to get rid of shoes in favor of boots. Is that not a problem you run into with this? Or do you get rid of all shoes first?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 04:25:54 pm »

I modded boots to be [SHAPED], which was supposed to help with getting them to wear footwear under them...

No. Toady made dwarves replace [SHAPED] clothing (caps) with [SHAPED] armor (helms); adding "[SHAPED]" to a single item does nothing, particularly when you're using "replace clothing" anyway, and adding "[SHAPED]" to chausses too could cause unpredictable results since you modded them to be 'armor' as well.

Over clothing was exactly what I was supposed to turn off to avoid retarded behavior where they'd refuse to get rid of shoes in favor of boots. Is that not a problem you run into with this? Or do you get rid of all shoes first?

Back in April, I suggested modding both boots and shoes with the [SHAPED] tag so that dwarves would automatically replace their shoes with boots when using "over clothing". Several users confirmed that does indeed work.

Anyway, it's not clear from your description why your dwarves won't equip their footwear, but if you post a save someone might be able to provide an answer.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 06:16:11 pm »

I'm fuzzy about the details, but now that you mention it your post was indeed where I picked up the [SHAPED] suggestion. I realize that the tag makes it so that only one item with it can be worn on any given body part. I noticed now that I didn't apply it to shoes, just to boots. Other than that I gave chausse [ARMORLEVEL:1] so it doesn't get claimed by civilians and doesn't wear out, as replacing worn out clothing by military is supposedly another extremely problematic area.

I can upload my save later, but for now here's the contents of my item_shoes.txt file for comparison:

Code: [Select]
item_shoes

[OBJECT:ITEM]

[ITEM_SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES]
[NAME:shoe:shoes]
[LAYER:OVER]
[COVERAGE:100]
[LAYER_SIZE:20]
[LAYER_PERMIT:15]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
[SOFT]
[LEATHER]
[STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_WOVEN_THREAD]

[ITEM_SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_BOOTS]
[NAME:high boot:high boots]
[ARMORLEVEL:1]
[UPSTEP:1]
[METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS]
[LAYER_SIZE:25]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:2]
[METAL]
[LEATHER]
[HARD]
[SHAPED]

[ITEM_SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_BOOTS_LOW]
[NAME:low boot:low boots]
[METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS]
[METAL]
[LEATHER]
[HARD]
[SHAPED]

[ITEM_SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SANDAL]
[NAME:sandal:sandals]
[SOFT]
[LEATHER]

[ITEM_SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_CHAUSSE]
[NAME:chausse:chausses]
[UPSTEP:MAX]
[LAYER:UNDER]
[LAYER_SIZE:10]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[SOFT]
[LEATHER]

[ITEM_SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SOCKS]
[NAME:sock:socks]
[LAYER:UNDER]
[LAYER_SIZE:10]
[SOFT]

Right now I seem to be making some progress as 3 out of 7 of my draftees are wearing socks and boots based on REPLACE CLOTHING and only high boots as footwear in the uniform. If this works then I'll roll back a couple of my mods for my next game as I would actually prefer a solution where I only assign metal armor and they wear their own clothing under it. Won't I run into more problems when said clothing starts to wear out though?

This also still fails to explain what's keeping them from wearing chausse and boots properly. They seem to be having no issues with wearing more than one item per body part elsewhere. In the screenshot below, every item except for socks is part of their uniform and items that started as clothing were given [ARMORLEVEL:1], same as chausse.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to look into it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 06:28:04 pm by assimilateur »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 07:39:27 pm »

.... as I would actually prefer a solution where I only assign metal armor and they wear their own clothing under it. Won't I run into more problems when said clothing starts to wear out though?
They will update their civilian and military uniforms separately, so if you have enough clothing in the fort, they will replace worn clothing when better is available. I put all my dwarfs in the military and assign them a simple military uniform over their civilian clothing. I have been using this uniform without any issue since April (woodcutters/miners/hunters/kids are the only ones who are not assigned this military uniform). They wear all their civilian uniform items except caps, shoes, and mittens.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...This also still fails to explain what's keeping them from wearing chausse and boots properly.
Chausse and socks are not the same. The chausse have UPSTEP:ALL, so they are the equivalent of chainmail "socks" and "leggings" combined into one item. There might be other differences, but this one looks important, since it could effect the layering process on the legs of the unit.
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 06:50:48 am »

I changed my uniform to this and only a couple of them are still missing a boot or two and wearing shoes instead. So am I assuming correctly that modding shoes to be [SHAPED] that this is going to go away, or do you still have to micromanage them occasionally?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Regarding the differences between chausse and socks, I guess I should have looked into those closer when I started modding. I'm fine with having them wear civilian clothing in addition to metal armor and maybe a cloak though.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 03:22:54 pm »

No micromanagement, and they all have their boots on.

A possibility that I still consider, is that a very valuable shoe might be worn in preference to a less-valuable but more-protective boot. I do not know if this can happen but I only keep low-value shoes my fort.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 04:39:59 pm »

Update: I had generated a new world after adding [SHAPED] to shoes and that solved the issue. As in, going with [over clothing] and assigning only boots got them to wear boots over socks and even chausse.

Of course it didn't occur to me to mod gloves in a similar way, so the above method resulted in them wearing gloves and mittens instead of gauntlets and mittens.

Seeing as how putting boots on while wearing chausse works as long as chausse are part of their civilian clothing, so there must be something else than just layering that's causing these issues.