Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No More Kobolds?  (Read 1312 times)

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No More Kobolds?
« on: October 15, 2019, 02:21:16 pm »

It has occurred to me that none of my fortresses have had encounters with Kobolds with this current version of the game. I was wondering if there was anything that may have changed causing Kobolds to be less common or perhaps some factor with the world generation is causing them not to show up in my games. If anyone has any insight on this I'd love to hear it.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No More Kobolds?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 04:42:35 pm »

I get lots of kobolds.
I also also have settings which ensure I have a huge number of kobold civs at start.

The problem with Kobolds is that each civ will only produce one single site, they don't spread out. That makes them very vulnerable to megabeast attack and so on. One attack and that civ is gone for good.

It's also hard to embark near enough to them that they are neighbours because, of course, you can't see their sites on the embark screen (you can change that in advanced worldgen settings).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 04:47:24 pm »

And, on top of that, their range is 10 tiles rather than the 30 for major civs.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 04:50:18 pm »

I get lots of kobolds.
I also also have settings which ensure I have a huge number of kobold civs at start.

The problem with Kobolds is that each civ will only produce one single site, they don't spread out. That makes them very vulnerable to megabeast attack divine wrath and so on. One attack and that civ is gone for good.

It's also hard to embark near enough to them that they are neighbours because, of course, you can't see their sites on the embark screen (you can change that in advanced worldgen settings).

FTFY.