Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question Regarding Food Control  (Read 810 times)

Ariosto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question Regarding Food Control
« on: September 25, 2019, 07:03:58 pm »

I'm in the midst of constructing a sizable Fort/Town, with the goal of building a Brewery that is capable of producing as wide a variety of alcohol as it possibly can. Having settled in "Joyous Wilds", I also desired to mass produce "Sunshine" from Sun Berries and have them as my primary export good. However I am aware that it is difficult to ward Dwarves away from eating raw plants, and I was wondering if anyone has discovered a way to keep the Dwarves from eating them, either in Vanilla or in DFHack. I know that the forbidding of plants has been mentioned in previous discussions on this topic, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about that, least without also forbidding their use in my kitchens or breweries.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question Regarding Food Control
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 07:55:46 pm »

You could mod the plant to remove its [EDIBLE_RAW] token.

Naia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 11:35:45 pm »

Distance can help to limit what your dwarfs eat.

Typically they will go for the closest food item, so I'm using a quite simple set up where the meal stockpiles is closer to the centre of the fortress, than the food stockpiles for raw food.

The actual distance is only something like 15 - 20 tiles, so it's still effective in terms of hauling distances and your cook/brewer getting work done, but 9/10 dwarfs will pick up a meal when getting hungry. The exceptions are those dwarfs who got preferences for a specific food item or someone who just happens to be closer to the raw food when they get hungry.

Ariosto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 02:09:51 am »

Distance can help to limit what your dwarfs eat.

Typically they will go for the closest food item, so I'm using a quite simple set up where the meal stockpiles is closer to the centre of the fortress, than the food stockpiles for raw food.

The actual distance is only something like 15 - 20 tiles, so it's still effective in terms of hauling distances and your cook/brewer getting work done, but 9/10 dwarfs will pick up a meal when getting hungry. The exceptions are those dwarfs who got preferences for a specific food item or someone who just happens to be closer to the raw food when they get hungry.
That is actually what I normally would do, where the Kitchen, Stills and other Preparation Stations would be off on the side of the Fortress, and the Dining Hall and Meals just off the main central stairway. The problem is, from a design standpoint, that I want the Brewery close to my above-ground farms and Tavern, and to help with automation I plan on having at least one Still for every type of Alcohol I can produce; since you can't specify what plant or fruit to use, it has to be done through stockpiles. The resulting structure is going to be of considerable size, and while it 'shouldn't be closer than the prepared meals, a lot of Dwarves would be close enough to potentially pulling from those dedicated stockpiles.

You could mod the plant to remove its [EDIBLE_RAW] token.
This is probably going to be what I end up doing, as I'm capable of supporting all my Dwarves with Lavish Meals now. Naturally the trouble will be remembering that I had made those edits if I decide to test another Fort, I do like to use Herbalists quite a bit in the early game to get by the first year, but nothin' ventured...

Thanks, both of you.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 02:24:13 am »

You could probably put the sun berry stockpile in the center of a prepared meal stockpile.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 03:37:54 am »

You could supplement Bumber's suggestion with over production of the various plants so dorf raw produce nibbling is compensated for. Also note that changing the raws so dorfs can't eat the raw produce will result in a mood loss for the dorfs that would have been able to satisfy their food needs by raw produce nibbling, unless you ensure you make (lavish) meals with them instead.

Naia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 07:41:58 am »

You can control brewing trough work orders from DFhack and using repeat jobs.

eg.
2-3 barrels of Plump helmet wine
2-3 barrels of Pear cider
2-3 barrels of whatever

You would need more than one still due to limit of work orders in each, but there is no need for 30 stills whit one job each.