Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Favourite DF defense design inspired from real world?  (Read 4315 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Favourite DF defense design inspired from real world?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2019, 11:03:21 am »

I had a gate house design where the trade depot had two bridges at either side, and was surrounded by a moat that only connected to my 'sewage system'(a pathway where water is led away from the washing area). I have rarely had fun syndromes though, so never had any story with invaders wandering into the sewers and getting sick.

Bulwarks were really a post-medieval thing, build with cannons and guns in mind. It might be these need to be redesigned to fit DF's orthographic angles. (Or maybe a medieval circular design works better for df)

The real issue with mimicking real life defences though is that these rely on archery a lot, and in DF archery training is buggy, and on top of that, if the archers are higher than 3 z-levels they won't be able to hit a target, which together with archers habit of engaging in melee combat/jumping off walls means that the only real-life defence mechanism that works for them is pill boxes.

Similar issue with siege engines :p
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2019, 02:36:25 pm »

I added abort shafts in above ground forts a few times (for dump zones and minecart dumps), but I stopped because of concern that a roc or titan would fly into the fort.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2019, 03:08:19 pm »

I added abort shafts in above ground forts a few times (for dump zones and minecart dumps), but I stopped because of concern that a roc or titan would fly into the fort.
a valid point against abort shafts.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 [2]