Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My minecart won’t up to superior floor  (Read 1126 times)

Raylemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My minecart won’t up to superior floor
« on: July 05, 2019, 10:15:53 am »

Hello,
I try to understand how minecarts work.

If I build any route on the same floor, I’ve no problems. But, when I try to make a route to up/down a Z level, my minecart bumps to the ramp without climbimg it…

I’ve build this circuit with 2 EW track ramps
https://ibb.co/4Pf66f8
https://ibb.co/c2Yc2WC

Can you help me ?
Thanks
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 10:17:27 am by Raylemon »

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: My minecart won’t up to superior floor
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 11:19:03 am »

When you want a minecart to go up a ramp, you need to designate the track not only on the ramp itself, but on the wall behind the ramp as well -- that is, the wall which the ramp ascends. It doesn't actually carve anything, but it lets the game know you want the track to continue up the ramp rather than stopping there.

On the level above, you'll need to designate the downward ramp also, for the same reason.

Diagram: you need to designate track over everything marked in red below:
z=0
######      # = wall
##^+++      ^/V = ramp up/down
######      + = floor
                  . = empty space
z=1
######
++V . . .
######

I'm assuming you're carving track (with 'd' > 'T'), rather than building it ('b' > 'C' > 'T'). If you are building I can't help as much - just make sure you've built track for the right direction.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Raylemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 11:31:51 am »

Thanks,
Iv’e built the tracks, I did’nt try with carve it, because I was on soil to made my tests.

I make a new test with carved tracks…

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 11:53:51 am »

I'm not familiar with the tileset, but from what it looks like, you've got a (non-track)up-ramp behind the actual track ramp. If that is the case, the constructed track-ramp won't work, because (afaik) it needs a wall behind it.

I'll try an ascii-art, too ;)
from what it looks like, you've got

(# = Wall
 < = up ramp regular
 ^ = up ramp track
 - = track)

#######
#<^---
#<^---
#######

while it should be

######
#^---
#^---
######

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 11:56:58 am by Large Wereroach »

Raylemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 12:15:56 pm »

Yes, you’re right. But I’ve tried with walls before putting ramps. Even with walls, the minecart bumps…

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 12:20:36 pm »

I have several (working) constructed ramps. I'm not entirely sure but maybe you need to construct a down ramp on the tile above the up ramp as well.
Another thing might be power: pushed carts will lose momentum on each tile that's not a downward tile and need to be powered either by rollers or a dwarf guiding the cart if the momentum at that ramp is already too little.

Raylemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 12:37:34 pm »

I have enough momentum because minecart will go back to the stop point.
Sorry for the dumb question, but, how can I make a down ramp ? I see only ramp/track…
I’ve already tested to build another ramp/track above the track below, but it still not working (and indicate upward).

Is it possible to have a small example, or maybe a save ?

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 12:44:04 pm »

Sorry, my mistake, there isn't a "down ramp" in the construction menu. I meant "ramp ew" on both the upper and the lower tile, but apparently you've already tried that.
I'm also pretty new to the game and the only other thing that comes to my mind is that you need to make sure that the tiles leading to the ramps are "EW" as well and not only E or W. I've had that problem when combining carved tracks with constructed ramps.

Raylemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 01:07:40 pm »

Well… I think I will abandon this idea with minecarts…
I’ve tested to push minecart from up level to bottom level, and minecart will go down ! But it won’t go up…
And if I want to guide the minecart, dwarves "dance" around the cart, but it still at stop point…

So, I think I will give wheelbarrows :D

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 02:36:05 pm »

I guess the cart will drop even if the tracks are not connected, just by inherent speed, but it won't go up if the tracks aren't connected. Does the hauling route show an exclamation mark? If so, you should definitely check whether all tracks are connected to the ramps. Btw, like I mentioned in the first reply, if you still have the second ramp behind your trackramp, it will 100% not work, you have to have a wall behind the trackramp.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 01:50:52 am »

Looking at OP's images, if I read the unfamiliar tileset right, it won't work for several reasons:

1. It looks like the tile immediately above (that is, same x, y but different z-level) is a floor. Minecarts can't go through floors.

2. Dwarven push alone won't have enough speed to move minecart up an accelerating track/ramp on their own. An accelerating track/ramp has one or more wall/fortification connections and exactly one non-wall/fortification connection (which is the direction it accelerates in).

You can work around this by adding an accelerating ramp just before the accelerating ascending ramp (Usually looks something like wall-EW track/ramp-SW track ramp with wall to the south of last and minecart coming from east - though if you want it to be bidirectional, the SW ramp must be NSW with walls both north and south, as otherwise it'll turn into corner wall and stop).

Note that a non-accelerating track/ramp can be ascended, as long as it has wall connection (Flash movie of ascending 47z off a single push).

@Large Wereroach: Descending ramps (that is, ramps on the tile immediately before lowering of z) are necessary at larger speeds, but in this case those speeds should not be present (though it is possible to cause jumps with dwarven push as well with untracked floor before hole).

@Loam: The upper track does not need to be EW. Any non-corner track floor tile works just as well as any other non-corner track floor tile.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 02:07:26 am by Fleeting Frames »