Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Music Forms.  (Read 5622 times)

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Music Forms.
« on: February 27, 2015, 01:17:32 am »

I'm curious, do we have any musicians who could attempt at writing something that corresponds with the new music form/descriptions?
(as Toady posted here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/early_musical_forms.html )
I imagine it could be an... interesting challenge, I expect they would sound very alien to our ears.

mskala

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Ansuz
Re: New Music Forms.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 09:57:18 am »

I've written a couple such pieces:

Blameless Turquoise (an example of the Paints of Jade)

We Spoke of Centimetres (an example of the Tressed Silk)

Web log entries for each of these, discussing the compositional process etc., are linked from those audio pages.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 05:55:43 am »

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

mskala

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Ansuz
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 09:32:15 am »

Nice!  I'd found the Reddit thread apparently about the same project here:  https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/9oso1k/dwarf_fortress_music_to_be_featured_in_upcoming/ but I didn't know the music itself was available other than through attending the concert.

It would be interesting to know what game-generated descriptions they were following.  Listening to those tracks, there's a lot of stuff in there that is not at all typical of what the game generator describes - conventional 4/4 rhythms in particular - so I think it's closer to "inspired by" the procedural descriptions than my attempt to literally follow game descriptions as closely as possible.  There are a lot of judgment calls in something like that when the game-generated descriptions contradict themselves or are simply unmusical.