Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick question: What's the "size" of the standard DF ASCII graphics?  (Read 1154 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile

I only ask because I'm looking for a tileset which is the same size as DF's standard "graphics".

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quick question: What's the "size" of the standard DF ASCII graphics?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 12:57:11 pm »

I only ask because I'm looking for a tileset which is the same size as DF's standard "graphics".
You can measure it yourself by opening the data/art/curses_640x300.png file (if that's still as specified in your data/init/init.txt). It's 128x192 pixels featuring 16x16 'characters'.

You could even measure the full-width/height-of-cell graphics (the semi-shades or various walls that occupy all the cell? Or measured mid-point to mid-point with other suitable neighbours?) but by maths alone that's 16x24.

If your situation is different to mine, for some reason, you can do the above with whatever you're working with already.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 05:54:26 pm »

Dwarf Fortress vanilla ships with three tilesets. The above is set as default. The others can be set instead. There's curses_800x600 and curses_square_16x16. These are all "standard DF graphics".

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 09:23:27 pm »

You can measure it yourself by opening the data/art/curses_640x300.png file (if that's still as specified in your data/init/init.txt). It's 128x192 pixels featuring 16x16 'characters'.

You could even measure the full-width/height-of-cell graphics (the semi-shades or various walls that occupy all the cell? Or measured mid-point to mid-point with other suitable neighbours?) but by maths alone that's 16x24.

If your situation is different to mine, for some reason, you can do the above with whatever you're working with already.

8x12, not 16x24

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 06:19:32 am »

8x12, not 16x24
Left as an exercise to others to work out as to why in the hell I zoomed things to find a good mid-to-mid measuring point as an example, then gave the un-deadjusted 'empirical' answers to the right maths questions, without checking.

Objective lesson to all.   :P