Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where are the goblins!  (Read 1009 times)

a.random.persona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where are the goblins!
« on: August 11, 2008, 05:16:09 am »

This is my 6th year in my Fort and I haven't yet seen 1 goblin who isn't friendly. Any idea why.
I did spend a year making the fort before digging a mass grave and flooding it with lava so I could reclaim it with Dwarves that I chose the Professions I wanted. I'm using 0.28.181.39f
Thanks in Advance

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
Re: Where are the goblins!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 05:23:30 am »

You might have chosen an area to embark that is inaccessible to the goblin towers. Can you trade with humans and elves? If not, maybe you chose a section behind some mountain range that is mostly blocked off from the rest of civilization. Assuming you didn't deliberately make an island fort.

a.random.persona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 05:34:14 am »

There is a goblin/Human Fort on the same area but it is friendly and I dont really want to anger them. They have more soldiers than me.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 06:25:48 am »

Hi!

The important thing is the site selection display. When you chose the site, using the TAB key, you can get various views/information. One of them is a list of neighboring races.

If that list contains goblins, regardless of whether they are shown as at war or not, you will eventually see sieges when you get big and wealthy enough.

If the list does not contain goblins, no goblin sieges, as far as I know.

If there is a nearby fortress, that is not a neighbor guarantee. If it is called "Dark Human Fortress", it officially belongs to a human civilization => not a goblin site regardless of original founders or inhabitants. If it is called "Dark Goblin Fortress", then and only then is it part of a goblin civilization and will count as goblin neighbors, even if it is run by abducted elves.

Deathworks

a.random.persona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 07:22:29 am »

Is The Red Dotted Line meaning "at War"?
I can walk throughout the other fort, Im Currently stealing barrels

CrazyEyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 06:18:24 pm »

I think if you embark in the same area as another civ the people living in that area will be friendly to you, regardless of what their alignment should be.
I'm glad all the DF players are not living in one district. It'd be the most dangerous district for the whole world.
Actually, it'd be the most dangerous district in hundreds of thousands of worlds, starting with 'Xah Rabin' The Dimension of Omen. 

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 11:20:33 am »

Hi!

The dotted line next to the goblins indicates that they are not at war with you but will send snatchers, ambushes, and eventually sieges nontheless. If goblins are officially at war with you, it actually says "War" (I had seen it in 39e once (^_^;; ).

CrazyEyes is correct to point out that if you build a fortress on a settlement, the inhabitants of that settlement will be at peace with your fortress dwarves, regardless of what the normal political relation is. At least that is what has been consistantly reported.

Deathworks