Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to change the size of the animal playable races?  (Read 1175 times)

Korgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm new to Df and I fall in love for the game in a second! But a I want to change the sizes of some of the playable Intelligent Wilderness Creature, so that i can play and aquire armors more easily for then without having to resort on doing a fortres just to get a Tick man some armor. A wanted do mod the raw in a way  that the smallest creatures (like Beetle man,Brown recluse spider man,Damselfly man,Dragonfly man,Firefly man,Fly man,Grasshopper man and so on...) can wear dwarf/goblin/elf clothes (52500,70000) and some others of my choice to use  human clothes: (61250,81666).
Can i do something like that editing the raws of the game? And if the answer is "yes" could someone guide me on how to do it?
Thank you for your attention.
Ps: Sorry in advance for any misspelling, english is not my native language.

Snowdrift

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [REACTION:DISGUISE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to change the size of the animal playable races?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 08:31:24 am »

There actually is! It's a really simple mod that only needs to change one file. I'll guide you through it.

First, go to your Dwarf Fortress installation folder and open it up. From here we need to open the folder called "raw" and then the "objects" folder inside it.

Inside this folder are a bunch of text files that we can modify. The only one we need is "creature_insects.txt". Open this one up and you'll see a lot of text in brackets, which holds the data for the insect creatures. Scroll down from here until you find [CREATURE:FLY_MAN]. This is the fly man data. To make the size change, go under [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON] and then type this line in exactly: [BODY_SIZE:0:0:70000].

It will look like this:

[CREATURE:FLY_MAN]
   [COPY_TAGS_FROM:FLY]
   [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON]
   [BODY_SIZE:0:0:70000]
   [GO_TO_END]
   Then the other tags.

That's all you need to do! Find the other insect men in the file and do them the same way. If you want different sizes, then change the 70000 to the appropriate body size (52500,61250, etc.) Make sure that all the tags you put in are in the brackets [], in full capital letters, and spaced by underscores _.

If you need any more help or clarification, just ask!

Korgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to change the size of the animal playable races?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 12:50:25 am »

Thank you so much for you reply! Really! Gonna try this solution first thing in the morning! Thank you again!