Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I mod the game in order to have infinite goblin sieges?  (Read 1494 times)

Dog Fortress

• Escaped Lunatic
  • escaped lunatic dixie fanatic
    • View Profile
Can I mod the game in order to have infinite goblin sieges?
« on: March 04, 2019, 11:46:51 am »

I'm kind of scared that eventually, all goblins will be extinct and consequently never siege me. I find sieges fun and I'd like to see if I can make infinite sieges, or make civilizations never go extinct

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can I mod the game in order to have infinite goblin sieges?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 04:42:27 pm »

No. Being a Simulator, Dwarf Fortress simulates populations.

You can play an older version of the game which didn't simulate the world and just threw goblins at you if you like. Whatever version was post .40. They're all available to download on the main site.

Or just play with a decent population of goblins. They don't run out if there are tens of thousands of them. FPS death will get you far quicker.

Or play any other game. There's loads out there that just simulate fortress defences.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 08:47:01 pm »

I think there's a DFHack script that lets you spawn sieges. You could probably set it up to repeat after a random number of days.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 09:08:53 pm »

I think there's a DFHack script that lets you spawn sieges. You could probably set it up to repeat after a random number of days.
That too.
How about playing Fortress Defence mod? That adds a whole load of hostile civs. They'll never run out of bodies to throw at your stone walls.

Also, for vanilla fun, remember to start wars with the elves, humans and other dwarf civs (by raiding them). Goblins aren't all that's out there.

How old are the worlds you're generating, by the way?
It's not unknown, but it is kind of hard to gen a decent length world and end up with no goblins these days.

Also remember this is nothing like previous version where goblins would be stuck with sending raids from one single site. They get a choice of nearby sites now (still one at a time though).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 09:12:26 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Dog Fortress

• Escaped Lunatic
  • escaped lunatic dixie fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 09:20:37 pm »

Thanks, I will definitely try the DFHack script for sieges

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 09:50:56 pm »

Isn't there a hardcoded siege boundary where you can't get invaded with under 80 pop unless you're aggressive?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 02:27:00 am »

Isn't there a hardcoded siege boundary where you can't get invaded with under 80 pop unless you're aggressive?
There is an adjustable option for each civ and each megabeasts/semi-mega which says when it will attack, yes. Adjustable being the keyword, not hard-coded.

Goblins at vanilla default settings are set to ignore wealth and consider attacking only after 80 pop. Raiding them turns this trigger off. They'll retaliate regardless of your population.

For more Fun, set it to 20 and turn on the wealth triggers.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 02:28:37 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 08:33:22 am »

The dfhack script that spawns sieges doesn't work anymore. You can only spawn caravans or diplomats.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 12:03:33 pm »

I also have this concern. We all understand that DF is a simulator first, but it was a better game when sieges appeared reliably without having to fuss about in Legends mode checking goblin site locations, populations, and obscure details about relative placement of other siege targets. Finding an embark site can easily be multi-hour task before adding all that work. For all its depth, DF only has a handful of oppositional challenges. It's sad to be having this conversation when getting sieges used to be effortless.

I wonder if using DFHack to increase site populations is a valid way to keep goblins coming once you've got them angry and they've figured out how to get to you? I've tried that with necro towers, but it's hard to tell if it's working. Ideally, you could just bump the (non-histfig) goblin population at sites that might spawn sieges up by 500 at a time to keep them healthy, and they'd promote new leaders from that population as needed when they die in sieges.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 04:13:23 pm »

...when sieges appeared reliably without having to fuss about in Legends mode checking goblin site locations, populations, and obscure details about relative placement of other siege targets.

Have you tried the current version? None of those are necessary. You can attack (almost) every goblin civilization/site on the world map and they'll be happy to return the favor. I've experienced no shortage of sieges over 20+ game years.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 05:01:59 pm »

This needs to be advertised more.
40.x suffered from:
Lost armies
Enemy civs sending all their sieges from one site (and stopping when they ran out of soldiers)
Distance and population restrictions that you need to know about.

44.x features
No lost armies
Enemy civs selecting a site from all eligible when sending each siege
Same distance and pop restrictions, but,
The ability to override population and distance triggers
The ability to provoke every other civ in the world to war.

It's not the same game. With a decently populated world (run history for more than a couple of years) you'll get sieges. The harder thing is to find somewhere so isolated that noone will ever siege you.

That and instructions on how to set the siege triggers (or add them to a starter pack if they're not there already - if you can turn off aquifers you can presumably adjust siege triggers).