Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Performer for entire fortress?  (Read 1430 times)

Vindcara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Performer for entire fortress?
« on: February 27, 2019, 02:26:35 pm »

I'n my latest fortress I noticed that once I created a temple, a performer position become available for my fortress:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Is this normal? I couldn't see anything about it on the wiki, it only says performers can be assigned to temples/taverns. Anyone know anything about this? Anyone know how I can get my performer to use one of my instruments?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Performer for entire fortress?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 05:03:31 pm »

When you accept petitioning performers they'll become fort wide performers. Performers aren't particularly useful, though, as they don't perform more than any other tavern patrons.

People will use instruments very infrequently, because DF music (and dances) are written specifically for specific instruments, and while instruments are civ specific, the music dorfs know doesn't seem to be, so the chances that any music they happen to know uses an instrument you in the fortress are slim, but it does happen. I've never seen anyone use stationary instruments, though, although I've heard it does happen as well.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 05:37:02 pm »

I have found that making instruments from my own civ, and then buying instruments from Elves and Humans increases the chances of having performances happen. It makes everyone involved happier, I believe.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 03:33:55 am »

If the required instruments aren't available they'll simulate the required instruments, but yes, performances usually makes the performing dorfs as well as spectators, happy (there are cases when at least spectators are bored or embarrassed by performances, so it doesn't always result in a positive outcome).