Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you the little things in adventure mode on your own claimed site?  (Read 2260 times)

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi! I am new to adventuring. I created dwarf with 2 easily satisfied needs, so he stays extra focused. It helps with skills, but not with building on site. During adventuring I couldn't find even on wiki answer to few very simple issues I faced:

- How do you destroy junk and corpses in game? Even butchering just multiplies this issue. Even nervous tissues are all fire resistant. I have seen only seeds being consumed by fire and turning into ash. All the rest is invulnerable to fire. Also they never vanish even in neighboring settlements, even when I travel. It seems I can ignite only grass or put camp fire, which is an issue on claimed site. How do I dispose trash in adventure mode?

- How do you put out the camp fire in your site? It never goes out there.

- If you retire your adventurer, then start a fortress (atom smash the trash) and then retire fortress, then can you return to the same adventurer or is the adventure lost?

- Is there any sense in keeping skins, horns, hoofs, ivory, animal fat and such stored in barrels, which are used in fortress mode industries?

- Night monsters (like trolls) are building destroyers. So will simple door protect you from them, or you need to build fancy ramp with hatch and walls above as entrance to your tavern?

- Is eating meat of sentient named monsters ok for your Dwarf or should it be avoided? Will it spread some creature of night's diseases to your Dwarf?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: How do you the little things in adventure mode on your own claimed site?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 06:51:38 pm »

1. Just move it out of sight if it bothers you. Other than burning (which for corpses can take quite a while) there isn't a good way to dispose of things.

2. Should go out of its own in 12 hrs or so. Unless it's different at a player-made site - in which case there's no way to put it out.

3. Depends. Short answer is yes, you can unretire an old adventurer after playing a fort or another adventurer. But it's more complicated than that, because since version .40 historical figures are active during play, moving, marrying, fighting, and dying, and your adventurer is a historical figure. They will probably move around and do things and perhaps die while you're playing the fort; so, be prepared to find out things aren't exactly as you left them (if you're really attached to the adventurer, make backup saves in case something goes wrong).

4. Not for adventurers.

5. I don't know if building destroyers can destroy buildings in adventure mode. I've never seen it happen. However, you can't lock doors either, so while the night creature might not break down the door, they can just walk through it. Best defense is a good offense.

6. You can't eat meat of named sentients, so it's sort of immaterial: but, yes it's fine. Night creatures have no "diseases," so no worries there either.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 07:40:35 pm »

So beds, chairs and tables are there only for decoration too? Aw... What's the point with your own tavern, if you can't store your precious loot in there and have visitors and passing by caravan merchants on drinks? I am so disappointed... :( I guess I will leave my tavern and go wander around as usual in adventure mode... Though barrels and bins and shields in carpenter workshop I find still useful. :)

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 10:15:40 pm »

regarding unretiring adventurers, be aware of http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10239