Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stockpile Organization  (Read 2362 times)

EmiBaka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Stockpile Organization
« on: December 22, 2018, 08:37:27 pm »

How do you guys generally tend to organize Stockpiles in your forts?
I just kinda stack them in a general area depending on my need for a certain stockpile

i.e

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stockpile Organization
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 04:17:29 am »

I start out with stockpiles in the very first hallway I dig.

I do not combine stockpiles or change options at this stage, except for the cloth thread and crossbow bolts. That gets no bins.

So I start out with a separate cloth stockpile for thread and for cloth. Just to get the goods of the wagon. After creating my first hospital I remove those stockpiles.

After some more digging and setting up kitchen and farms, I make 3 food stockpiles: one fore the ingredients near the kitchen, one for the drinks and prepared food near where the dining hall is going to be and one more accepting only seeds.

From there I go to more and more dedicated stockpiles. Often I get triggered by job cancellation spam because things are in bins or barrels and those cannot be used by more then one person at a time.

One I find myself often using near industries that need bags, is a furniture stockpile that only accepts boxes and bags made from only cloth materials. I really love using DF hack here for saving stockpile options.

When I make stockpiles that no longer use barrels or bins, I make sure other stockpiles no longer accept that item. Stockpile linking does not work when trying to move things out of a barrel or bin. Examples would be a food stockpile accepting only dimple cups or pig tails.

Late game I often make stockpiles that only accept masterwork items for studding with precious metals and encrusting with gems.

I often use small stockpiles near workshops. If I need to store a lot of something, like booze, I create special rooms for it that feed smaller stockpiles where it is used.

Sometimes I even connect those things with tracks. So dwarves can use a minecart to move things around. But generally I try to keep things compact so I do not have to bother.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 11:21:58 am »

My stockpile organization tends to change as my forts do, but I don't really organize the stockpiles, I organize the items and the item flow through the workshops. I often use smaller stockpiles (near the workshops) that accept from a larger stockpile, but I try to minimize the times an item is moved (because sometimes a dwarf is assigned to move an object 10 tiles when that dwarf was 50 tiles away from the item).
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 03:56:57 pm »

I have a central area with 5 large stockpiles: Furniture, Useful Goods, Trade Goods, New Clothing, and Worn Clothing.
"Furniture" are all of the things that get built (excludes so-called furniture such as barrels and buckets.)
"Useful Goods" are things like blocks, mechanisms, buckets, etc.
"Trade Goods" are anything that I trade away, such as (non-metal) arrows, figurines, large gems, etc.
"New Clothing" is a clothing stockpile that only takes from the clothier's workshop.
"Worn Clothing" is where all clothing that's been on the floor ends up. This means xworn clothingx and the troll fur thongs of goblin invaders. I basically treat these as extra trade goods.

My weapon, armor, and bolt stockpiles are near the barracks. I keep wood, stone, bar, and cloth stockpiles near their relevant workshops. Seeds are near the farms, plants are near the kitchen, booze and meals near the tavern. Refuse and corpses are stored on the surface, where they won't generate miasma. I keep a meltable item stockpile near the forges for storing stuff like copper armor, metal arrows, and other foreign weapons for melting.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 08:23:03 pm »

Like many, it changes depending on the fort.
Often, I dig out a big section to begin with, set it to accept everything I don't already have a pile for, and use that to get the wagon's contents away from the macaques and keas. Once things are sorted, this area will become a barracks, taven, or hospital.
Once things are getting worked out, I tend to follow one of two patterns.
1: a few Z-levels with halls and separate stockpiles around the central staircase, so dorfs all have relatively quick access.
2: stockpiles as close as I can get them to the appropriate shops. For example, a pile for ore and flux directly behind the furnaces, and then staircases right against the furnaces to the forges two levels down, with a bar stockpile between.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 09:47:28 pm »

I've settled into a pattern for a while now.

1 ) Meals.  No barrels!  This is the only stockpile for prepared meals.  Almost always in the communal dining room.  I'll sometimes make smaller ones for jail cells, minor dining rooms, etc.

2 ) Refuse and Corpses.  (w/associated QSP and Dump square)  Somewhere miasma safe.  Often I'll most of it into magma pit or under an atom smasher, keeping only some bones and whatnot for moods.

3 ) Seeds.  Near the farm.  No barrels!  This will be the only seed stockpile.

4 ) Big Food stockpile for everything else.  I make sure to set "no mix" in the general orders settings screen.

5 ) Almost always I'll make one or more Drinks stockpiles, similar to the meals stockpiles, taking from the larger general foodstuffs stockpile.

6 ) Stone, Wood, Bars/Blocks, Leather, Cloth, Gems, Sheets.  (w/QSP)  No bins!

7 ) General Stores with everything else: furniture, cages, armor/clothing, weapons, tools, etc.

8 ) Sometimes I'll make a Trade Goods stockpile near the Depot, drawing from #7 above for stuff I want to sell off.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 11:54:56 am »

Generally, I've got designated cellars where most of the fortress goods are kept, this area usually includes:

--An entirely separate food stockpile

--Several large combined, furniture, finished goods, animals, leather, and cloth stockpiles

As the fortress ages, specialized areas (because I'm a dope for RPing design) are added:

--An armory which contains forges, and stockpiles for weapons, armor, and ammunition
       *Bars are almost always kept in smelters

--A vault for coins, which I enjoy trading with (efficiency be damned)

--A sealed trash dump for refuse

If the map is somewhat dangerous, I.E. getting a lot of sieges or lots of roaming animals, I'll also add the following:

--A wood cellar (if there are a lot of trees on map, otherwise the lumber is kept in the trading depot)

I've found stone stockpiles to just generally be pretty inefficient, so I've taken to creating stone dumps at irregular intervals throughout the fortress. Usually at the entrances to rooms. They look something like this:

H = wall
X = floor
o = channeled pit (no ramp)
z = stairs

Top view:

HoH
XXX
HzH
XXX
HoH

Side view:

H  _z_  H
H__z__H

Which tends to be pretty efficient for dumping stone assuming there's no naturally open pits nearby. I used to just have a simple channeled pit with a ramp for the same purpose, but I stopped after dwarves kept pathing into the pit and promptly being crushed by the next dwarf throwing a boulder onto them.

Usually, they only see one mass dump after which I reclaim the stone for use by the masons and smiths.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 11:56:35 am by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Lestrage

• Bay Watcher
  • novice creature of the night
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 02:26:29 pm »

Potato.
The platypus is making a plaintive gesture. The pangolin is striking a menacing pose. The penguin is laughing.