Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should the set-up be in the tropical biomes?

Full Medieval! Arab sultanates and (sort of vaguely) Kurdish nomads!
- 5 (45.5%)
Classical! Sassanids and small Arab kingdoms (albeit with medieval tech)!
- 6 (54.5%)
Something else entirely! Please say what that is if you vote this.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: POLL: Putting final touches on big mod; deciding one last major thing.  (Read 895 times)

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Let's say there's a big human-centric (though far from human-only) High Medieval mod being made. Let's say there's a bit of a religious system in it. And let's say we're populating the tropical regions, and that there will be pseudo-Byzantines regardless of anything else. And let's say there are these two particular civilizations that could each easily fit into one of two concepts.

One is sort of roughly like pre-Islamic Persians, has a caste system and a religion based around fire, water, and light, and their religion involves large stone fire- and water-shrines at which they offer sacrifices of meat, fat, milk, water, and wine, use sacred ash for blessings and exorcisms, and invoke elemental spirits.

Then you've got these sort of pseudo-Arabs, with a fairly simplistic, minimalist religion based around purity, praying on prayer rugs, and binding, enslaving, and exorcising magical and elemental spirits.

So, there are two set-ups I could see working. In the one, the pseudo-Persians are part of a mighty, caste-based, theocratic, roughly Sassanid empire, while the pseudo-Arabs live in small, vaguely pre-Islamic desert kingdoms and city-states.

In the other, the pseudo-Arabs conquered the pseudo-Persians, binding/enslaving/exorcising the latter's elemental allies with their magic, and live in large, sophisticated, 1001 Nights-esque high medieval sultanates, while the pseudo-Persians now live small, sort of vaguely Kurdish tribes in the desert and mountains, driven away by the pseudo-Arabs.

Which would you see working best? From a game-play and narrative perspective. The latter would definitely lend a more medieval feel, but at the same time the former might work better with how complex I have the religious system of the pseudo-Persians.

EDIT: Also, both versions of each are basically fully finished, I just need to decide which versions should go in to the release... version.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 04:39:13 pm by Dunmeris »

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: POLL: Putting final touches on big mod; deciding one last major thing.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 07:48:00 am »

Alright, so the poll will stay open until either Friday or Saturday, at which time I will close it and release the mod (assuming something catastrophic doesn't happen).

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 10:16:50 am »

A script is spitting out errors. I'll upload once I fix this. Sorry for the possible delay but I'm not uploading a broken mod (again).

EDIT: That was quick. Alright, now I just need to fix one more thing and finish a credits file (it seems like something nice to do).

EDIT: Name improved. Just one more thing...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 11:22:35 am by Dunmeris »

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 12:09:34 pm »

Alright, poll is closed, the mod is uploaded, and I will be starting that thread in a hot sec.

Voting was fairly close, but I'll be uploading an alternate version, with the Akhadian sultanates, and with the descendents of the Sarvanians driven into the desert, soon (unless it turns out this initial version is broken and direly needs a ton of fixing that I somehow missed, in which case that would of course come first).