Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tree House Fortress?  (Read 1711 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tree House Fortress?
« on: December 07, 2018, 12:14:03 am »

This is going to sound a tad silly but has anybody built a bunch of interlinked tree houses in a forest and made a literally, tree house fortress?  Many of my Dwarfs ended up in the trees in some of the older version that the idea of making stairways and pathways in the trees seems to sound almost reasonable.  Outside fires.  Is it possible to do so and make it something that can be defended?   ???
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tree House Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 01:37:59 am »

Maybe if you find a forest dense with the big 2x2 highwood trees.  They would grow big and high enough to make it worthwhile.  It will just take along time.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 04:29:29 am »

I've never tried building floors on branches, but if you can do that, then it's totally doable.  Hard to defend since it's trivial to climb up, but if you are creative you can probably figure out a way.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 07:20:22 am »

I think there is a problem somewere. either, leaves weren't considered walkable when building floors, and therefor, you couldn't build in them, ir trees didn't count as support for your building. either way, I doubt it is possible, unless your fine with having your tree-house rest on, say, a pillar and three trees. that could work.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 10:56:53 am »

Quite apart from the almost elfish nature-friendliness this would entail, you might run into some issue with fire breathers setting the scrubland alight and damaging the structural integrity of your elf dwarf fortress
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 11:34:27 am »

There are some things about trees to be considered.

If you build construction on top of twigs and the tree is cut down, the construction de-constructs, even if there is another construction to the side that could support it (you will see this if you build an up/down staircase through twigs, build walls adjacent to the stairs, then cut down the tree, which is what I did when I build up/down stairs through a cavern and through some twigs, completely walled around the staircase from the cavern floor to the cavern roof, and then cut down the tree, causing the 3x3 block of constructions partially explode.. So, this may be important when you consider that trees grow. Can the twigs move? I don't know but have been considering it when I build "escape stairs" to allow dwarfs down from surface trees.

Another thing is, when there is a roof over a tree, it seems to slow in growth or stop growing (this is an opinion I gained while encasing fruit trees in towers). If this is true, then it could be useful to prevent trees from growing, as tree growth can "split" the pathable tree branches, forcing you to check occasionally if your adjacent staircase no longer allows pathing through the tree, like this image where the staircase in the lower-left no longer gives access to the north area of the tree:
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.