Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Floating farm plot?  (Read 787 times)

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Floating farm plot?
« on: December 14, 2018, 12:11:52 am »

I've been building an above ground tower for my dwarves to live in and was making modifications to let lava flow into the tower for magma forges. However, when trying to construct things I noticed one wall wouldn't get built no matter what. After some investigating, I discovered that the farm plot tiles in front of it were on open space

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How on earth would this have happened? There was a tree near the wall that I chopped down to make room for plumbing, but the floor above and the floor below this were perfectly intact.

EDIT: It actually goes well beyond the first two tiles

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Everything from the first tile to that tile is all open space. There's no possible way it could have been a tree that far in, so what could have happened? My only guess is I accidentally designated the tiles to be deconstructed there when tearing down walls but I don't know how they could deconstruct floor tiles with farm plots in the way, leaving the farm unharmed

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 12:32:39 am by nimbus25 »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Floating farm plot?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 12:09:40 pm »

Sounds like one of two buggy things related to trees. The first is that, when trees are cut down, the tiles were they had "twigs" have those twigs removed, deconstructing constructions in that tile. The second is that trees can leave a "residue" of their upper-most area in a tile when they are cut down (example: towercaps have ramps on their top, and when the tower-cap is cut down, the ramp itself disappears but the tile above continues to show the downward ramp.)

I would guess that your tree left some "residue" or attribute in the mid-air tiles (similar to the mid-air downward ramps left by tower-caps, but maybe it was a "budding twig" or "fruit/seeds" that might not have been visible) and when something happened to cause them to disappear (the "budding twig" or "fruit/seeds" attempted to grow, noticed it was no longer attached to a tree, and deconstructed itself), the floor tile deconstructed with it, leaving your plot hanging in mid-air. This is complete speculation based on the two buggy things.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.