Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weresheep family - ignore me solved  (Read 724 times)

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weresheep family - ignore me solved
« on: October 03, 2018, 02:08:15 pm »

I had a dwarf topple a statue in a temple and get cursed. They now turn into a weresheep every month. This is fine I knew this and had then bricked into a nice set of rooms where they could do no harm.
The thing is she is carrying her baby. In the original pre-savescum version the baby was first to die in the weresheep rampage. But now she is locked up she just ignored both it and all the furniture in the room. Is this a thing with babies being safe and the first time was an accident (possible hit from a dwarf fighting the weresheep?). If this is normal does the baby stay safe as it grows into a child? into an adult? Also I thought were's were building destroyers why is all the nice furniture still standing?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 03:12:09 pm by timotheos »

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weresheep family
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 02:25:58 pm »

ok at some point before the next change the baby got put down. Then during full moon the baby ended up dead.
Still no damaged furniture though.

Edit and several changes later there is now one less door in there so building destroying is working.

Ignore this thread.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 03:11:19 pm by timotheos »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Weresheep family
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 03:10:23 pm »

I have seem were-dwarfs in a gated room who were training in a barracks or praying in a temple and they continued to do that job, even when they changed forms. So, nothing in the room was damaged. It may be that your were-sheep had a job that wasn't interrupted when she transformed.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weresheep family - ignore me solved
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 05:51:23 pm »

It's actually an interesting thread :-)  I like having "pet" were creatures in my fortress.  I don't wall them in.  They are free to live like any other resident in the fortress.  I just make sure that I keep them far away from the rest of the fortress at the full moon.  As long as they don't see any living creature, or buildings they won't move.

The timing of the destruction of buildings is weird, though.  I once tried to semi-automate looking after my were beast by giving them a workshop in a cave at the edge of the forest.  Near the full moon I would queue up a series of things to build and then let them go at it.  The workshop would always get destroyed, but it was often at weird timings -- sometimes well after the were beast had transferred back into a dwarf.

BTW, I don't recommend this approach -- trying to stop haulers from wandering into the workshop while the dwarf was transformed into a were beast was more fiddly than just stationing the were dwarf in the cave every full moon...

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weresheep family - ignore me solved
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 04:08:14 pm »

Yeah in hind sight i wish i'd locked her and my pet vampires up somewhere else so it would be easier to get them doing useful work.

Update on things I've learnt.
Its several years later and still only one door destroyed out of 13 pieces of furniture. Some of that might be because for most of a year they just stood "attending meeting" in the middle of the room on there own and didn't even move when transformed.
Also weresheep beats weregila. I got another cursed dwarf that turned into a weregila which I locked in with the weresheep. They seemed to co-habit ok for a couple of changes then one day when I looked back there was a dead weregila on the floor next to a slightly stressed dwarf.