Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Diplomatic faux pais DF 44.05  (Read 606 times)

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Diplomatic faux pais DF 44.05
« on: September 27, 2018, 05:22:53 pm »

It's the first year of my fort, and these diplomat fellows and traders show up. I quickly set up a depot and remember that they want to talk to the expedition leader. Well, a migrant arrived months before who has superior negotiating talent and so I went into the 'n'obles screen and replaced the old leader. Welllll, after that the screen prompts me with a message saying, "The diplomats have left unhappy." Is it serious and they hate me now? I hope they just come back next year. Trading went OK though.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 05:24:24 pm by Bob69Joe »

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diplomatic faux pais DF 44.05
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 10:27:12 pm »

The human diplomat and caravan got killed by a rampaging savannah titan, and the humans haven't declared war on me, so I get the impression that barring particularly warmongery races like goblins and elves, minor slights won't drive civilizations to war.

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 10:30:22 pm »

Actually it sounds like that was YOUR civ you annoyed, so yeah they won't declare war, but if you didn't get to set the trade agreement before he stormed out then you didn't get the opportunity to tell them exactly what goods you want for next year's caravan. They'll just bring their usual selection. Besides that there should be no lasting consequences.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 02:27:23 am »

There was a bug that caused leader replacement to result in diplomats leaving unhappy and meetings to get stalled. I don't remember which versions those issues were fixed in, but I have a vague feeling the diplomat one remained in your version (you'll have to search the release notes yourself if you want to find out when the issues were fixed). I'm also unsure of whether all issues were solved at the same time, or if a part of it was fixed slightly later.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 04:00:39 am »

Well think about it this way...

Your civilization spent all that time coaching and grooming the outpost liason on how to handle YOUR expedition leader, only to have some other SOB be the figure they negotiated with.

Wouldn't that make you a little unhappy, if you had been coached on exactly the right way to get what you wanted out of somebody-- only to NOT deal with that somebody, and get some hard-nosed asshat instead?  Especially if back home, you had lots of rich and influential people expecting you to look out for their interests in your dealings, and instead, you had to settle for actually equitable transactions?

Yeah.  Left Unhappy is probably a feature, not a bug. :P