Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Civ doesn't produce a certain item  (Read 1616 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
My Civ doesn't produce a certain item
« on: September 09, 2018, 10:19:56 am »

So, high boots are considered foreign for my civ. Is that a thing? Some items can be not produced by your civ?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: My Civ doesn't produce a certain item
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 10:22:28 am »

Yes, this is actually quite common. High boots are just more notable than other things.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 12:19:48 pm »

And apparently it's possible to miss out on BOTH high and low boots...
You can check what's available to your civ on the careful preparation screen. If you can't buy things you're interested in, you can't make them/buy them from dwarven caravans. You can then abort the embark process and start from scratch, selecting a different civ.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 12:26:40 pm »

If you use DFHack, there's a script that can add missing item recipes to your civilisation.

"add-recipe single SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_BOOTS" is the example they give to add a single item (high boots) to your civilisation.

Can also be used to add many more weapon and armour recipes.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 04:11:58 pm »

I've run into that a few times.
High boots a couple times. I think gauntlets once.
One time was some weapon. IIRC it was warhammers, because I remember thinking "WTF kind of dwarves are these?"
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 04:55:19 pm »

Incredibly odd ones, given only armour has variable chance to show up by default.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 05:55:47 pm »

And apparently it's possible to miss out on BOTH high and low boots...

I wouldn't want to play with such civilisation, but this sucks less than it seems. I have a really hard time convincing my dwarves to wear high boots instead of standard shoes (I make shoes for civilians). For this reason most of them (except mercs, who are forced by the Replace Clothing option) do not wear boots.

I just had a siege of 100 gobbos/trolls/beak dogs, and confronted it head-on with my military (20 ranged, 20 melee), 88 of attackers were slaughtered, and none of my people lost a limb (or life), though there were three requiring hospital stay, but with no damage to legs or feet.

There was only one marksman with ankle injury, who maybe could have benefited from the boot - he has shoe on left foot, metal boot on right foot, and was hit in the left ankle, forcing him to crawl, but not enough to warrant hospital visit. I have examined logs, and there were cases where helm of mail shirt were employed, but no boots.

So based on this and earlier experience, the boots are quite problematic, but not crucial for military, at least trained one. Still, better to have an option than not to have it.

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 09:15:28 am »

I wish there was a random chance to get extra items, not just miss out. It'd be cool if there was a dwarven civ with scimitars or turbans.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 11:47:31 am »

I wish there was a random chance to get extra items, not just miss out. It'd be cool if there was a dwarven civ with scimitars or turbans.
You can raw mod that by adding those items to dwarves and use the appropriate indicators to state they're not common or always present (RARE, UNCOMMON, from the wiki, and I'd guess you'd want RARE in this case). Thus, the functionality is there already, but you'll have to apply it yourself.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 12:56:05 pm »

Turbans, sure,  but scimitars might be slightly more difficult given wiki doesn't list rarity as option for weapons. Doable with dfhack, in any case.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 01:06:53 pm »

It's possible to make dwarven civilisations that would use different weapons or armour.

In my own game, I made a mod for additional entity files, which were largely copies of the existing dwarf/elf/human/goblin entities, but changed the entries for the items that they had access to, as well as the biomes in which they were found.

So, for example, I made one entity for humans that would live in the tropical biomes, and a different one that would live in the temperate biomes, and they had different clothing, weapons, and armours available to them. Use the RARE,UNCOMMON,COMMON, and FORCED things to determine which armour & clothing they have, and have weapons specific to each civilisation (even if they have the same stats)

You could go a lot further, and have the OtherDwarves have completely different setups in their nobility and military structure.