Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No grassy caverns.  (Read 1113 times)

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No grassy caverns.
« on: September 01, 2018, 06:12:21 pm »

Any way to get around having no *moss* in your caverns? Nothing grows there apart from bloodthorn.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 06:17:21 pm by thefinn »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: No grassy caverns.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 11:21:06 pm »

Did you miss caverns or modify the world gen mods so you would only have one cavern layer? Usually blood thorns are only in the third cave.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 01:00:19 am »

If you need some safe place for your grazers and you don't have grassy moss, you can cage them or put them on restraints.  Dwarfs with "Animal Care" enabled them will feed the grazers either with plants, or prepared meals (even if the prepared meals are made entirely of meat).  They will also get a good thought and will have their "help somebody" need satisfied (verified that on 44.12 the other day).  Grazers in cages can't breed, but grazers put side by side on restraints can.  Factory farming FTW!  BTW, for some reason this does *not* seem to work for grazer pets (even if you enable "Animal Care" on the owner).  However, I haven't verified that in the current release (I don't have any dwarfs with grazer pets at the moment).  In previous versions, the only way I got grazer pets to survive without grass was to allow them to follow their owner (who will feed them periodically even if they *don't* have "Animal Care" enabled).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 04:17:34 am »

Firstly, are you sure there isn't any moss, as any moss present will be covered by mud, and thus won't be visible directly? I made an experiment in an earlier 0.44.X version where I spawned magma on the mud in a muddy cavern, and it burned moss (and mud) away, and later moss regrew, now visible as it wasn't covered by mud. However, the two other caverns were normal, so in theory they could have seeded the muddy cavern.
I verified the cavern biome didn't have any plants in it (it was the second one, I think, so no bloodthorn), but earlier investigations have indicated muddy cavern actually have "grass" even though their biomes don't have any plants.

IF there actually aren't any "grass" in the cavern, hacking might add it, but I can't guarantee it would.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 07:18:06 am »

Once the spores are released, it grows pretty quickly on sand, etc.  Maybe go up to the soil layers and expose some sand/clay/etc.  Has to be underground, of course.  If that doesn't grow, then I'll be surprised.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 05:23:41 pm »

If you need some safe place for your grazers and you don't have grassy moss, you can cage them or put them on restraints.  Dwarfs with "Animal Care" enabled them will feed the grazers either with plants, or prepared meals (even if the prepared meals are made entirely of meat).  They will also get a good thought and will have their "help somebody" need satisfied (verified that on 44.12 the other day).  Grazers in cages can't breed, but grazers put side by side on restraints can.  Factory farming FTW!  BTW, for some reason this does *not* seem to work for grazer pets (even if you enable "Animal Care" on the owner).  However, I haven't verified that in the current release (I don't have any dwarfs with grazer pets at the moment).  In previous versions, the only way I got grazer pets to survive without grass was to allow them to follow their owner (who will feed them periodically even if they *don't* have "Animal Care" enabled).

I didn't know this, thanks! (I mean really who uses this? ... me now I guess lol) I kept losing dwarves to moods because I have no yarn industry a there's none to be traded..

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 05:25:03 pm »

Firstly, are you sure there isn't any moss, as any moss present will be covered by mud, and thus won't be visible directly? I made an experiment in an earlier 0.44.X version where I spawned magma on the mud in a muddy cavern, and it burned moss (and mud) away, and later moss regrew, now visible as it wasn't covered by mud. However, the two other caverns were normal, so in theory they could have seeded the muddy cavern.
I verified the cavern biome didn't have any plants in it (it was the second one, I think, so no bloodthorn), but earlier investigations have indicated muddy cavern actually have "grass" even though their biomes don't have any plants.

IF there actually aren't any "grass" in the cavern, hacking might add it, but I can't guarantee it would.

I actually tried hacking it in, but apparently this requires "discovery" which I couldn't work out how to make happen.

And 'yes' to answer the question above someone asked I did change it to 1 cavern layer in order to cut down on lag. An unfortunate consequence.

In any case - the animal care thing above should work.

Thanks for the replies.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 05:28:14 pm by thefinn »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 05:02:02 am »

For discoveries, there is the feature command. (Side note: It's possible to obtain magma without discovering the magma sea and vice-versa via application of obsidian-casting through constructed downstairs.)

Since things can appear in multiple layers, yeah, multiple cavern worlds have greater diversity in addition to lessening chance that all your caverns are flooded or dry (though increasing the chances that one of them is on fire) as well as increasing adamantine amounts. I've minimally tweaked worldgen cavern or demon parameters to get what I want before, though note that this can affect history and layout.