Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lag Spike then FPS Spike  (Read 1103 times)

Quicunque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lag Spike then FPS Spike
« on: September 08, 2018, 04:36:50 pm »

I searched the fora, and found no discussion of this particular problem in 2018 (or earlier); I am using 44.12.

In my past 2 forts, once they reach about 2 years old and about 90 dwarves, I get annoying lag spikes every 15 seconds or so. They last about 5 seconds, and are followed by a brief (3 seconds or so) FPS spike (about 140, even though I set the limit at 70). It makes the game exceedingly annoying to play.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I use a Linux system, hardware is less than a year old. Until 3 days ago, I never had these issues. There are no flying units present; I am only 12z deep, so no caves. I can't figure it out.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Lag Spike then FPS Spike
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 05:17:30 pm »

Just because you have not revealed the caverns doesn't mean somebody isn't down there setting fires in the darkness and fighting with wildlife. Unless you meant you generated your world with zero caverns.

Did you install any bridge repeaters recently? Bridges have been noted to cause visible pause in the past, even at fps cap.

Quicunque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 05:31:00 pm »

Thank you for your reply, Fleeting.

No repeaters, but it is good to know they can cause a similar issue.

I use the default world gen, so caves are present (just not uncovered yet). I use straight vanilla with no mods. It is perplexing because I have played for over 1000 hours with no such issue. Then, last week, with nothing I can think of different in my play style, this lag/fps spike problem. It got so annoying that I quit that world (it was only 2 years in) and started another. Then the problem showed up again after 2 years or so. I suppose, if no one else is experiencing it, it must be an issue on my end, not a bug in DF.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 06:29:23 pm »

Toady recently changed how vegetation was being processed in an effort to resolve similar lag spikes. If your lag spikes are consistent you might upload your save to DFFD ( http://dffd.bay12games.com/ ) for others to test, and optionally post a report on the bugtracker ( http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/ ).

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 02:50:45 am »

I know squat about linux but that sounds like it could be a malware issue unconnected with DF. Other than that, something could be trying to path to/from a cavern layer.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 06:40:25 am »

It has never been malware issue that I know of, and it only occurs after specific fortress development point passes. Higher on the list of things I'd dare to blame there's pet-locked doors, stuck squad members, new path-faulty fort design (maybe using the downramps without upramp for one-way paths?), strange moods repeatedly pathing, werebeasts in a loop, just off-map entreees, crab-or-possibly-even demonsplosion, new cool fortress design of channeling way too much surface, etc. to consider.

(Personally, I'd guess it takes OP about 2 years and 90 dwarves to set up the (newly) FPS-draining new trick.)