Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waterproof Horizontal power transfer  (Read 630 times)

NEANDERTHAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Waterproof Horizontal power transfer
« on: August 26, 2018, 01:19:24 pm »

Does anyone know of a good way to transfer power horizontally through a tunnel that might flood at times? I am transferring water from a pair of waterwheels above an artificial river fred from above by an aquifier, so I can't dig up (or down without having to heavily revise my fort)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waterproof Horizontal power transfer
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 04:59:02 pm »

I've never tried it myself, but I've read it is possible to encase an axle in obsidian and still have it work. I assume you'd start with the water and add the magma, or the axle will probably burn, though. If the flooding isn't really desired, you ought to be able to extend the tunnel with the power train to somewhere you can dig down one tile and place a Deployable Drain there to drain the excess water.
Another way is to use machines. It should be possible to feed the power through a screw pump that feeds it onwards sideways:

WWWWWWWW
--PpW
WWP--
WWpWW

where:
- = axle
W = Wall
P = Impassable pump tile
p = passable pump tile

I haven't tried that either, though (but I've had pumps feed power sideways in a pump line).

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 02:24:17 am »

Pump power transfer is the best option, but i find you the Obsidianize mechanism post, using nether-cap axle as magma-proof material.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123650.0
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 02:51:16 am »

Nethercap isn't magma proof. Try magma and a nethercap minecart...

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 03:03:07 am »

Maybe nether-cap is no "magma-safe", but is "Hot-obsidian-safe".

Water and magma make a hot obsidian. With a fixed temperature nethercap can resist the heat better than wood with    [HEATDAM_POINT:10250].

I find the problem with nether-cap minecart filling with magma. I need to test constructions vs dropped items behavior. [Fixedtemp] ir a powerful tag, but i don't undesrtand the complete reaction to heat :S .

====

Tested:
Edit Raw, Nether-cap available in cavern 1
Generated new world, embark with nether cap log near a volcano
Dig a hole with Obsidian gear and Nether-cap axle. Put nether-cap windmill over gear.
Breach the volcano, fill the windmill level with 2/7 magma, hole with 7/7.
Nether-cap axle active, with excess power.

Waiting a whole season, windmill and axle work.

Nethercap buildings are magma-safe, except minecart items dump in magma are destroyed.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 03:51:46 am by Luriant »
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 10:08:36 pm »

You can probably obsidianize non-nethercap axles, as long as you do it by pouring magma on water rather than opposite way around (things don't catch fire instantly).

Still, seems relatively pointless to me ever since vjek showed troll safety with pump impassable tiles - could just build two with backs to each other. Though that may have been a quirk due his pumps facing south (the center is floored to northern tile, visible when hiding a building or with 2-tile raised bridges made of wood not catching on fire when other tile has magma).