Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do you build roofs?  (Read 3817 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you build roofs?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2018, 03:59:51 pm »

For a really large roof, build a series of square bridges.
...for a really really large roof, build floor 'gantries' in order to support up to four max-sized bridges (in a square) because if you go so far as to need to build 3x3 bridges (or more), the non-edge bridge(s) can't hang off the four+ edge bridges (or diagonally off of the remaining four corner bridges).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 04:52:26 pm »

Keep in mind bridges are vulnerable to temperature. If you happened upon a fire-breathing or flame-bodied flying titan, you could be in for some Fun.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 08:14:41 pm »

@Starver: They can, as long as you don't link them to a lever. Just tested in 44.12, built 3 10x1 bridges after one another, with only the first one attached to floor. Also works as early as in 42.06, as shown in the roof of Deathgame (didn't play before that, though).   

||

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2018, 08:24:02 pm »

Either it's changed, or I've always been overcautious, fearing constructions reigning down as soon as they were completed. After seeing (and sometimes engineering!) ogherwise unsupported hanging walls fall away to, cause a suitable chsos below. Many of my forts have had 20-wide gaps (two whole retracting bridges) between deliberately left-among-the-excavations (or built-up-out-of-the-hole) pillars.

(From one fort I have in mind, that dates back to pre-cavern times, 40d or somewhat before, maybe. Hadn't done this apparent overkill in 44.12, yet, but did do it in 44.02. I shall have to experiment!)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2018, 09:30:41 pm »

Yeah, walls totally cavein immediatelly. Bridges (or other buildings with implicit walkable non-floors, such as hives and bookcases) ain't constructions though!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2018, 03:19:10 pm »

Pretty sure floor grates cave-in.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 05:09:26 pm »

Right; ditto for hatches. (Not waterwheels attached to unbuilt horizontal axles, though, which comes handy with building pumpstack in 1 go.)

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2018, 08:32:46 pm »

Pretty sure floor grates cave-in.
Been a while since I tried it but last time I tried building a roof out of floor grates it had to be connected to a wall or floor on either of the cardinal directions(N, S, E, W) and it did not work if the only thing that floor or wall in turn was connected to was floor grates...
Pages: 1 [2]