Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Applying weighted ranges  (Read 362 times)

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Applying weighted ranges
« on: August 03, 2018, 12:21:10 pm »

Can anyone help me understand how can I apply weighted ranges? The wiki is rather obscure about it, especially about choosing the mesh size and setting an adequate variance for the parameter (or maybe I just don't get it).

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: Applying weighted ranges
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 08:07:49 pm »

It is a bit confusing. Trial and error is a good teacher.  :P

The best input I found was this post: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139916.msg5436653#msg5436653.

Quick edit: oh, wait that is pretty much integrated into the wiki now... still there is extra in that post.  Have a look at the files linked in the post - one of them has some images which may help.  But honestly, experiment.  Have a look at the largest world possible and play with the variables starting from extremes to see what happens (set history to 2 years to help with gen times).  Then move to smaller worlds, perhaps your preferred size, and repeat, see how things change and what adjustments are needed.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 08:18:32 pm by feelotraveller »

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Applying weighted ranges
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 07:58:29 am »

You were right about trial and error; it's one of this things that are hard to grasp until you see the effect for yourself. After fiddling with the settings the wiki and the post info was easier to understand :)

For anyone also wondering how this works: the lower the mesh size the "chunkier" the result is, while higher mesh sizes make for a much more seamless effect. The default variances values seems to work fine for all mesh sizes, at least for small worlds.