Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CPU memory really high  (Read 416 times)

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
CPU memory really high
« on: August 02, 2018, 04:26:29 pm »

I tried playing adventure mode on a pocket island. I went to a goblin tower, the only one in the map, and noticed it's very slow. There are a total of 600 goblins at the end of the world generation and several pits surround the tower. The CPU memoey reads over 500,000 and it takes at least a full second to.move one space. Is there any optimization I can do?

I'm playing 44.12. Oh, yes, I am using DFHack as well.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 04:30:37 pm by Bob69Joe »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: CPU memory really high
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 11:49:43 pm »

What are the beak dog / troll populations? The site could be full of snatched people, too. Check the site pop in an external legends viewer.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 03:20:34 am »

As far as I understand, adventure mode visits to heavily populated sites take a very hefty toll. As Bumber indicates, there's probably 2500+ trolls and as many beak dogs at the site, so there's probably 6000 or so units all pathing. The only "optimization" is to avoid heavily congested areas (I assume you could also DFHack a lot of them them into inactivity, although you'd have to make such a script yourself).

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 03:34:15 pm »

Goblin fortresses have very crappy architecture (sorry Toady). This causes pathing issues even with relatively small number of units. Additionally if your character is slow, the calculations for every one of these critters is taken multiple times before you can make your move. Having fast character helps move from such locations to somewhere else if you stumbled on them by accident, but there always will be issues with goblin fortresses.

If you have dfhack, you can use reveal to look underground. Or this simple script to count critters, to see if their number is crazy or not:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Name it for example "count-critters.lua", put in /scripts directory and run from dfhack's console.

You can run it when you observe a change in performance, you can be surprised how aggresively the game removes units - or creates new ones. And then avoid such places. Next time generate more underpopulated civilisations - and conquer goblins with a vampire and/or necromancer (they don't tire and can sprint all the time, this helps much with performance in such places, plus you can jump over trenches).