Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is my dwarf a traitor?  (Read 1701 times)

blah_1123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is my dwarf a traitor?
« on: August 09, 2018, 05:15:58 pm »

Excuse the poor picture. https://i.imgur.com/6LKqVTJ.jpg

Can anyone explain what's happened here? I sent a squad to pillage a goblin pits and I get this announcement, this was the leader of the squad. She's become lady at the goblin pits. Also of note is that 2 of my squad members are now prisoners there. I assume the rest were killed.

Has this happened to anyone else? Bug or feature? Does this mean my squad leader is a traitor? Why would the goblins accept a dwarf as a leader anyway.

Any suggestions and help will be much appreciated.
I reccomend letting him go nuts, though.  If he goes berserk, free target practice for your military!  If he doesn't, raving naked bedridden dwarf!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is my dwarf a traitor?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 05:50:13 pm »

Yeah, this happens sometimes when dwarves are imprisoned. The status of prisoners isn't understood well enough and they end up being promoted to noble positions. It's on the bug tracker somewhere, I think. Worth reporting if it's not.

--edit
Seems to be all wrapped up in this report :
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10645
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:54:33 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 06:15:41 pm »

Still, the "After a polite discussion discussion with local rivals" part does suggest that we are going to be careful with who we send on raids once the villain stuffs gets into the game.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 06:20:55 pm »

Don't think traitors and betrayals are things that really exist in the game yet. Though that will change very soon*.

*In DF development time.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 07:19:24 pm »

Local rivals implies multiple candidates, which means it is considering only your dwarves for the position here.

Yeah, it's not quite a broilerplate: I had two humans in my fort, and one became a guild representive near start of Granite with the message only saying "local rival". Therefore, before the dwarf was chosen for a lady it was predetermined the lady would be from amongst your dwarves.

I definitely recall reading how kidnapped dwarves growing up fight at the side of goblins, so presumably the lady might a well if they're no longer a prisoner.

SpeardwarfErith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 10:35:37 am »

I think the "local rivals" part is just a canned message that doesn't imply anything, I have never seen any other message. This happens when they get the position but possibly not from direct inheritance.
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud: Hello Ago. Life is, in a word, death.
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud stabs you in the lower body with his iron scimitar, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the left kidney!
The iron scimitar has lodged firmly in the wound!

Battle Royale Mode: A DFHack Script

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 11:43:31 am »

I believe the usual method for determining traitors is the duck test. Check to see if the dwarf weighs as much as a duck via pressure plate linked to a magma flow.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 06:13:32 pm »

Has this happened to anyone else? Bug or feature? Does this mean my squad leader is a traitor? Why would the goblins accept a dwarf as a leader anyway.
Goblin society is based on power. They probably admired her strength.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 09:27:32 pm »

Local rivals implies multiple candidates, which means it is considering only your dwarves for the position here.

Yeah, it's not quite a broilerplate: I had two humans in my fort, and one became a guild representive near start of Granite with the message only saying "local rival". Therefore, before the dwarf was chosen for a lady it was predetermined the lady would be from amongst your dwarves.

I definitely recall reading how kidnapped dwarves growing up fight at the side of goblins, so presumably the lady might a well if they're no longer a prisoner.

I was thinking it meant your civ enemies there, but that is simpler and makes more sense.
It would be fun if squads could go rogue, though.

blah_1123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 07:11:35 am »

A bit of an update, I sent another squad to try and rescue the prisoners. The leader of that squad was made militia commander at the goblin pits, some of the squad are listed as prisoners and the rest have just disappeared. When I send new missions to rescue prisoners the squad returns immediately with no report. This all seems quite broken. The goblin pits only have a population of 30 so I'm surprised every raid is failing and ending up with prisoners/defections(?). I may just forget about that site as I don't want to lose more military dwarves, I'm very short as it is.
I reccomend letting him go nuts, though.  If he goes berserk, free target practice for your military!  If he doesn't, raving naked bedridden dwarf!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 07:47:19 am »

A bit of an update, I sent another squad to try and rescue the prisoners. The leader of that squad was made militia commander at the goblin pits, some of the squad are listed as prisoners and the rest have just disappeared. When I send new missions to rescue prisoners the squad returns immediately with no report. This all seems quite broken. The goblin pits only have a population of 30 so I'm surprised every raid is failing and ending up with prisoners/defections(?). I may just forget about that site as I don't want to lose more military dwarves, I'm very short as it is.
Prisoner rescue option is broken right now (squad returns immediately).
You can get around it by raiding with prisoner rescue selected in details.

blah_1123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 07:58:12 am »

Prisoner rescue option is broken right now (squad returns immediately).
You can get around it by raiding with prisoner rescue selected in details.

I didn't know this but I have sent raids with that option selected but they always fail, sometimes with a dwarf taking up a position at the pits.