Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My home fortress disappeared while I was away  (Read 1335 times)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My home fortress disappeared while I was away
« on: July 30, 2018, 02:20:17 am »

DF 44.12: I didn't think the sudden disappearance of one of the fort stairwells was anything to worry about, but wow was I wrong. Upon returning from a hunt in a nearby cavern, I discovered my starting fortress and its inhabitants had disappeared with all surface connections, leaving only the seven-tile wide tunnel system and an abandoned settlement marker where the fortress once stood. How can I deal with this situation? Should I give up or try wandering through the cavern system to a nearby fort?

Context: Started a new game in adventure mode as a human crossbowman living in a procedurally generated dwarf fort placed in a mountain range. The stairs disappeared first, then the two dwarven soldiers posted in the tunnels disappeared after moving away from them.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 02:31:29 am by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: My home fortress disappeared while I was away
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 11:41:12 pm »

Keep a save for a bug report?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 12:24:18 am »

I don't have a save from before the disappearance, but I still have a copy of the world. I savescummed then asked the warrior dwarves to join me as entertainers after performing near them; this prevented their disappearance and the conversion of the fort icon, but the stairs are still gone. They're currently moving with my character through the cave system to a nearby fort. Before the stairs disappeared the option to retire was replaced with "Give in to starvation". The world was created with mostly-default world settings and a modmod of Black Powder Firearms mod. Legends viewer doesn't mention any site abandonments related to the mountain hall Warmthgirder.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:49:25 am by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 11:33:54 am »

maybe the fortress got abandoned for some reason?

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 03:15:42 am »

I've checked that possibility using legends mode and noted the result in my other comment.

I've found another 7-tile tunnel system and followed it to a dead end; it seems all surface connections connected to the 7-tile hallways have been deleted in all fortresses. I've archived a save in case anyone wants to debug the world. I'm currently playing the world using Peridexiserrant's starter pack.

Side note: the tunnel systems really need cistern and well rest stops to keep travelers alive.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 03:24:43 am by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 11:47:44 pm »

The wiki page describing the tunnels says fast travel is possible from the tunnel system but I can't get it to happen; all I get is the standard 9-tile underground map in the Travel menu. Things to note: 1. My character seemed to "forget" exploring areas of the map; some spots seemed to revert to unexplored territory. 2. The fort was sparsely populated and most dwarves encountered had military professions.

Ah that's how underground Fast travel works.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 12:10:58 am by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »