Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Secret Entrances?  (Read 1401 times)

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Secret Entrances?
« on: July 06, 2018, 10:44:52 pm »

So, could you use a pressure plate and a drawbridge to make a secret entrance, that is a door that intruders and level pullers wont open but your adventurer character and in theory the dwarfs who live there could?
Has anyone done this successfully?
Or is there a better way to do it?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Entrances?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 02:16:39 am »

Levers are far better - just make lever inaccessible (non pathable to), but in a place where adventurer can climb or jump easily, and other creatures have no reason to (like on a pillar). I'm not sure the options needed to work for pressure plate in adventurer.

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 01:39:51 pm »

How about an externally-located pressure plate activated bridge/floodgate/hatch setup that, when pressed, reveals a secondary fort entrance?  Don't think dwarves, invaders, etc, know to hunt down an out-of-the-way pressure plate to open the way.   Or you could have a small room with lever inside instead.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 04:55:19 pm »

I sometimes use a variation on the old "Goblin Grinder" trap which I call a "Bee Door" after the one-way entrances beekeepers use to get all their bees into the hive. It has to be modified a bit because of increase jumping and climbing in 0.40.*+, but it's still simple. I'll admit it's been a little while since I built one, so if something new has made them not work, let me know!

Basically, the entrance is a short 3 wide. 3z level hall with all smoothed walls. The walkable path is one wide, and ends with a pressure plate set to ignore dwarves, which otherwise triggers 2 hatches next to one another. When a creature triggers the pressure plate, both hatches open, which ends their pathing. It's a good idea to throw a set of steps on the outside of the shallow pit, because accidents happen (and it eases construction.)

#############
.........................#
 >       ^HH          +    Z level 1
#############

#############
>.......................#     Z level 0
#############

#############                                      # = smoothed wall
                         #                                      . = empty space
>                       #     Z level -1                    > = stairs
                         #                                      ^ = Pressure Plate
#############                                       H = Hatch

They're great for installing as migrant entrances along the edges of maps, although of course they won't stop all creatures (fliers, trapavoid.)

As for adventurers, I couldn't say.
Team Bug Fix!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 04:01:59 am »

Dwarfs who live there...I've used minecart one jumps through a fortification with before for very quick to create yet quite well sealed option, though I dislike it for it leaves out kids, pets, and everyone else - however, it only needs a cart, hauling route for it to jump, two channels, four walkable tiles and the fortification itself.

Since adventurers can ride minecarts, it'd work for them as well I guess. But in the first place, they can just jump through the fortification on their own.

Slightly out of the way pressure plate could provide a shortcut to outside with stuff like double-ramped singular door+other path being blocked, but back inside feels ...potentially dangerous ^^;; Animals wander all over the map, for one.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:04:52 am by Fleeting Frames »