Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Favorite Forgotten Beast  (Read 1525 times)

LeftTurnOnly

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Favorite Forgotten Beast
« on: July 10, 2018, 11:36:57 pm »

A site where the only shallow metal is native gold
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It also spawns comedy gold

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Forgotten Beast
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 02:22:40 am »

An excerpt from a couple of posts I made about one of my fortresses a few months back on a different website, with some sketches:

Things seemed quiet in the lower tavern. A dwarf ate his breakfast, while a few bards gathered to listen to a human poet (wearing an odd octopus leather cap) recite some verse. But the peace is broken when an enormous head appears behind the glass.

https://i.imgur.com/pZ90uhUl.jpg

(I'm not very good with drawing humans, as you can see by the "artistic" proportions on that fellow in the turban on the right, but I liked how this scene had played out in game so much that I had to draw it anyway)

https://i.imgur.com/qr6teHR.jpg

RETHI FAFIREIREDE

Rethi was a forgotten beast. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic hairy theropod. It has two spiral horns and it undulates rhythmically. Its sea green hair is short and even. Beware its poisonous vapors!

In a time before time, Rethi began wandering the depths of the world.

That's right, Demonsaurus Rex has arrived and is crashing the poetry slam. As it begins smashing at the glass, I order the tavern evacuated and send in my military. There's no telling what that gas does, so this encounter might decimate my new military just like the undead horde decimated my old one. Things are tense, and I have every reason to expect a difficult fight in a matter of seconds. But there's yet another surprise in store for us.

Rethi, likely moments away from breaking through, suddenly stop its attack and jumps down from the ledge. The beast has found easier prey, struggling in the water. It's not the flaming forgotten beast from before, or some unfortunate cave creature. The dinosaur's new target is a dwarf. A recruit has decided to climb through my drain and swim out under the intruder. Did this dwarf understand the threat to the fortress and sacrifice themself to distract the beast? Or did the dwarf foolishly believe they could outmatch the creature in underwater combat? Whatever the dwarf's reason, the beast takes the bait and quickly dispatches its floundering quarry. Then, Rethi stops. It remains motionless in the water, blocking the drain. The beast could easily climb up the drain and gain access to the fortress, or return to the window and continue its assault, but it doesn't. Rethi seems sated by the dwarf's sacrifice, and has taken up a permanent residence submerged in the drain. The dwarves quickly block off the drain from the rest of the fortress. While this prevents them from pumping more water into the cistern, there's little need. The cistern contains all the water these dwarves could ever need for the foreseeable future. The window is also sealed, just in case.

With the threat of Rethi apparently dealt with, the dwarves return to their work.

A T-Rex with a demon motif, and an interesting story to boot. And yes, he stayed in my fortress's drain the rest of the game, never leaving for longer than to kill a giant cave toad a few tiles away and then returning.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 02:54:42 am »

I don't have the world anymore, but on one of my first long-lived forts I got a forgotten beast I nicknamed Sub-Zero - a tall humanoid made of ice with an undirected deadly dust wave.
While the military was able to take care of it, many of them died due to the dust, which caused blindness and bleeding from the eyes initially, before causing bleeding from every other part of the body.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 03:22:53 am »

I don't have the world anymore, but on one of my first long-lived forts I got a forgotten beast I nicknamed Sub-Zero - a tall humanoid made of ice with an undirected deadly dust wave.
While the military was able to take care of it, many of them died due to the dust, which caused blindness and bleeding from the eyes initially, before causing bleeding from every other part of the body.

Jesus, that's pretty brutal.

Shocked you haven't made it a megabeast for one of your mod packs :P