Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Last time dwarf took a bath?  (Read 1407 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Last time dwarf took a bath?
« on: July 04, 2018, 04:47:44 am »

Has anyone seen a dwarf taking a bath, especially soapy one, or are they all dirty? Last time I saw a dwarf taking a soapy bath was in v0.42.06, quite some time ago (it was a child, apparently extremely bored). Since this used to give some stress relief, I wanted all dwarves to do it in present version, but no luck so far.

Soaps are used solely to clean patients, at least in my fortress. But do dwarves care at all? I mean, the emotion is still included, but apparently they never trigger it. Is it possible to make them bathe?

If you have DFHack, you may use this script to list and count all people who have thoughts about soapy baths, and count all baths and soaps (including used ones). The units which take normal bath are usually critters who love to lick themselves, like cats or red pandas, so their listing is commented out. You may uncomment it (line 13) and see how clean your cats are. Dwarf Therapist also shows units who have taken bath in emotions, though it may be hard to find (most likely absent).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
Re: Last time dwarf took a bath?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 04:52:49 am »

I've had dwarves take bathes in 44.09, both soapy and not. They've had a lot of free time on their hands, though, and the water source was close to the tavern. But I can't say for sure whether or not that triggered the emotion, as I didn't pay much attention to it then.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 04:55:03 am by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 05:35:27 am »

In 44.09 and 44.11 they have been taking soapy baths on their own. The 44.09 fort used 50+ bars of soap within a few years due to evil biome rain that the builders were working in. The 44.11 fort is fairly new and has only used 8 bars of soap, this might be mostly from hospital use. In 44.11, DT shows only Blissx8 and Contentmentx1 from Soapy baths, and no non-soapy baths. I do not know how to force them to take the baths without exposing them to a containment that also causes a negative thought.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 07:11:31 am »

So it does happen. Do you have well as water source, and is it a meeting area too?

I always have some wells, and they are used when water is needed. People use it to give water, or to drink (humans mostly), and to clean patients, and to some reactions which call for it. But not for cleaning themselves. Soap is used exclusively to clean patients. Maybe dwarves do clean themselves only when covered in some toxic substance, like freakish precipitation or beast's extract? Blood of enemies is certainly not enough in my fortress.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 07:59:56 am »

My fortress (last played with 0.44.05) saw a lot of baths because there's blood all over the place resulting from a permanent bloody cough syndrome (essentially tuberculosis) affecting large parts of the fortress (I've blocked the rain completely, but permanent syndromes are rather long lasting).

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 08:23:23 am »

So it does happen. Do you have well as water source, and is it a meeting area too?

I always have some wells, and they are used when water is needed. People use it to give water, or to drink (humans mostly), and to clean patients, and to some reactions which call for it. But not for cleaning themselves. Soap is used exclusively to clean patients. Maybe dwarves do clean themselves only when covered in some toxic substance, like freakish precipitation or beast's extract? Blood of enemies is certainly not enough in my fortress.
In both forts, the water source was just a hole dug into an aquifer, flagged as a water zone and with standing orders for zone-only water sources. In the 44.09 fort, it was eventually upgraded to a well after "not enough wells" thoughts started, but neither were set as meeting areas.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 09:41:15 am »

Wells without the meeting area.
The dwarves were usually cleaning off the blood of tavern visitors.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Dragonborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 08:11:23 am »

I've had a dwarf take a bath in 44.11. 

He took the bath outdoors in a pond, which was not flagged as a meeting area or water source.

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 11:47:37 am »

Dwarves will use any soap that isn't co-opted by the hospital. They seem more willing to bathe if soap is near your water sources.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 03:10:29 am »

I have one fortress which got over 3000 bars of soap... And they aren't used. The dwarves don't bathe even without soap, which makes me think that my race is just a dirty subspecies.