Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Generic Attribute Effects  (Read 529 times)

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Generic Attribute Effects
« on: July 01, 2018, 05:33:29 pm »

Currently, AFAIK, all body attributes have effects outside of labours, but soul attributes seem to affect very little in that regard, notable exception being willpower. Here's a list of possible generic effects that some attributes could have.

Analytical Ability - Affects rate of skill gain (Higher analytical ability = faster skill gain)

Focus - Affects the intensity of the effects of unmet needs (Higher focus = smaller debuffs from unmet needs & larger buffs from recently met needs)

Intuition - Affects chance to auto-dodge/block/parry (Higher intuition = higher chance to auto-dodge/block/parry)

Patience - Affects the rate of loss of focus from unmet needs (Higher patience = slower focus loss)

Memory - Affects rate of skill rust (Higher memory = slower skill rust)

Empathy - Affects the intensity of thoughts generated from social interaction (Higher empathy = greater mood boost and busts from social sources)

Social Awareness - Affects the rate at which relationships are formed (Higher social awareness = make friends faster & form grudges slower)

That's all I got, I know I didn't get all the attributes and the suggestions I gave can probably be greatly improved upon, but that's the sorta stuff forums are for right?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: Generic Attribute Effects
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 05:53:07 pm »

Empathy is more about one's ability to read other people's emotions than the intensity of one's own sympathetic emotions. I could see this being implemented in adventurer mode as a display showing someone's current emotions when in a conversation with them. Not sure what your dwarves would do with that information in fortress mode, though.

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Generic Attribute Effects
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 06:48:51 pm »

Fair point, yeah, it'd be a personality trait rather than an attribute if it was what I was thinking.

I imagine for dwarves to use their empathy to their advantage we'd need to wait for more dynamic personalities and goals then, so we could have the mother-hen style high-empathy dwarves that try to keep everyone happy, and the Machiavellian supervillains that use their empathy to manipulate people and rise to positions of power, and y'know, everything in between. Might be a bit of a wait.

Edit: Oh snap, didn't realise villains stuff was next
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 01:55:00 pm by Ninjabread »