Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Books, Culture and Conflict  (Read 659 times)

DakkaDakka

• Bay Watcher
  • My dorfs are the shootiest!
    • View Profile
Books, Culture and Conflict
« on: June 12, 2018, 10:05:20 am »

What happens when a majority of your fortress has been brainwashed convinced of beliefs through literature/argumentation that differs from the civilization as a whole?

My understanding is this would lead to internal conflicts in the form of bar fights, more arguments etc. but is it possible to change your civilization's beliefs as a whole? For example, could a cunning elf manipulate a fortress to adopt elven beliefs? Would this lead to more wars with dwarves, and more alliances with elves? Could a cabal of persuasive dwarves naturally disseminate these beliefs in conversation? Do the beliefs of nobles do anything for the beliefs of a fortress?

If so, I'm considering making a Masterwork Red Codex.

EDIT: Link to an old thread about this
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154434.15
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:29:38 am by DakkaDakka »
I wanted to do a cute village in the wood and ended up with a dystopian dictatorship

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Books, Culture and Conflict
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 02:31:12 pm »

I've never seen or heard of dwarves fighting or arguing over different beliefs. The trait system probably modifies behavior and stress.

For example, I would guess that:
Dwarves with high Harmony are more stressed by arguments and violence.
Dwarves with low Merriment are less likely to socialize.
Dwarves with high Craftsmanship or Martial Prowess take more pleasure from increasing crafting or military skills.
Dwarves with high Leisure are less likely to work and more likely to de-stress.

From what I've inferred about Toady, and from the medieval setting in general, idea-based conflict will probably come from religion and politics rather than personality.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 02:42:47 pm »

Idea-based conflict over personality can already happen in adventure mode, so it could theoretically also happen in dwarf mode, although I don't remember ever seeing memories of Dwarves being bitter about getting into conflicts.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 04:32:30 pm »

Currently no. The civ level cannot be changed currently. Eventually there will be politics and power struggles. It might possibly lead to sites rebelling, but that hinges on sites somehow being able to change views (the already rebel, but probably not due to beliefs).