Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm a little worried about what may be lurking in the caves..  (Read 933 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile

I've found upwards of 80-100 mutilated bodies and mangled skeletons, just body parts everywhere just in the immediate area where the squad entered the caverns, along with ashes everywhere. So far among the scores of dead:

Elk Birds
Giant Olms
Troglodytes
Worker Ant People
Drone Ant People
Cave Crocodiles
Crundles
Giant Cave Toads
Trolls

I pulled back without going very far and opened it up to the monster slayer visitors and waited awhile. Now I've sent the squad in again and I've yet to find any trace of them or what killed everything. The only things I've found alive is a giant rat, cave spiders, and a few scattered elk birds.

I'm guessing some kind of super durable flame spewing Forgotten Beast?

EDIT: On level 3 I'm now finding bodies of some of the above but some new creatures such as:

Reachers
Bugbats
Gorlaks
Dralthas
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 11:31:28 am by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm a little worried about what may be lurking in the caves..
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 11:30:16 am »

If you find live stuff down there the FB should be gone (i.e. killed, as I've never heard of any leaving). If you have a magma pipe you can have a bugged pipe set fire to the vegetation, and you can have magma sea dwellers set fire to it.
A flame spewing FB is the most likely cause, in which case you ought to find the remains of it eventually (unless the corpse was caught in a fire).

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 11:35:47 am »

I don't see any way to go from level 2 to 3 without flying, there is a massive pit and a rocky tunnel connection. So I don't think a wildfire could have traveled either up or down to everywhere. There is still a lot of vegetation, spider webs, and large trees as well.

So probably a flying fire breather that was able to massacre everything. Are they omniscient and can always find other creatures? The sheer range that I am still finding scores of bodies is surprising. I guess that explains my sudden massive loss of FPS.

I found a named body, but I can't get any information about it other than it is a mangled skeleton.

EDIT:

Apparently that wasn't the only forgotten beast. I think I found the culprit. It's still alive. "A gigantic blob composed of flame. It has a spiral shell and it undulates rhythmically."

It has a blobbed body composed of fire and a shell? I guess that it how it was able to kill such a vast number of creatures and presumably the other Forgotten Beast. Must be super tanky. Is there a way I can view it's kill count with DFHack? It won't let me view it like I can my dwarfs.

EDIT2: Well that was anti climatic due to what I believe is a bugged Forgotten Beast. Apparently it was able to kill everything not only because it could lob fireballs, but it seemed virtually impossible to attack it. I had a full squad of experienced fighters and a near legendary fighter within a few blocks of it. When I ordered them to attack it, they just stood there and did absolutely nothing. I told them to move on a path that would make them cross it, they did so and the only one of them attacked it. There was 4 pages of the Dwarf dodging the blobs attacks, making only 1 attack, a bite which hit. Then the Dwarf died.

I brought my Marksdwarves down and they shot it a single time with a yak bone bolt and it died instantly.

So for whatever reason it was nearly impossible to be targeted by melee attacks even by a group. So even though it seemed to have the equivalent to 1 hit point, it nearly sterilized all levels of the cavern and vaporized my Dwarves and their steel gear and apparently an artifact that someone was carrying.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 12:11:16 pm by BoogieMan »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 04:19:19 pm »

Creatures composed of fire are so hot melee units only rarely are able to get near them, and they're also very flimsy, so unless you hit the shell whatever you hit generally gets destroyed (and a blob only has one hit location, although I guess the shell would add a second one).

I'm sure there is a kill count somewhere, but I don't know where.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 06:27:24 pm »

If you're using DFhack you can also use legends without retiring the fort to see the FB's history and kill count. Though many of those creatures probably bled to death from wildfire and won't be counted as it's kills. With your fort running enter the command "open-legends" to open legends mode. Hitting escape will return you to your fort when you're done.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 11:44:55 am »

Nice, thanks. Didn't know about that one.