Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make playable race lay eggs/milkable?  (Read 603 times)

SoggyGoat

• Bay Watcher
  • Some call them clowns... I call them bitches.
    • View Profile
Make playable race lay eggs/milkable?
« on: May 23, 2018, 07:30:15 pm »

I'm getting into some modding and I was wondering if it'd be possible to make a custom race lay eggs that can be used for meals or make a cowperson that can milk themselves or other of it's kind to make cheese. I copy-pasted the milkable tokens into the custom race's female caste but as I assumed that wasn't enough. Any idea how/if this can be done?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Make playable race lay eggs/milkable?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 07:34:26 pm »

We are the ultimate self sufficient race. All we lack now is the production of honey and soap.

In all seriousness, the farmer's workshop milk jobs can only target tamed creatures belonging to you, so you're not going to get these creatures to produce milk without a custom reaction (which will in actual game terms conjure milk that isn't related to the individual performing it).

However, they should be able to harvest their own eggs. Which may prove a pain in the ass when you want your citizens to actually have children.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 08:06:47 pm »

We are the ultimate self sufficient race. All we lack now is the production of honey and soap.

In all seriousness, the farmer's workshop milk jobs can only target tamed creatures belonging to you, so you're not going to get these creatures to produce milk without a custom reaction (which will in actual game terms conjure milk that isn't related to the individual performing it).
You could probably screw around with dfhack's reaction-product-trigger and a custom script and whip something together that works well enough. My first suggestion is producing an evaporating liquid in a barrel and then using reaction-product-trigger and a custom dfhack script to change the material and temperature to the worker's milk and body temp.  I think all creatures have a milking counter, so you might even be able to use the milking counter of your citizens to limit the amount of milk you can get at any time.

Of course, all of this is a lot more complex and error prone than just making [PERMITTED_REACTION:MILK_SELF_OR_WHATEVER] cowperson entity exclusive.
However, they should be able to harvest their own eggs. Which may prove a pain in the ass when you want your citizens to actually have children.
I can confirm this.  My FoE ponies occasionally chow down on candy, cactus jam and griffon egg roasts.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

SoggyGoat

• Bay Watcher
  • Some call them clowns... I call them bitches.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 08:09:40 pm »

Looks like I have some work to do then  :P
Thanks for the help, guys!

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 09:13:48 pm »

I feel like I should mention the tag [LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS]; you can have your citizens reproduce the normal way, but also lay eggs. I suggest making a non-existent caste that can lay eggs, and having them steal the eggs of that.