Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BoundWorlds - A Browser-Based World Building Retro-Style Action RPG (Update!)  (Read 1059 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

Hey everyone!

I've been working on this project for quite a long time in the "Creative Projects" board, but I think it's finally got enough features to go up here among the proper games.  While it's technically still in "Open Alpha", it's only in the way that Dwarf Fortress is technically in Alpha - that is, there are still a number of planned features that I have yet to add.

So for those who don't know, what is BoundWorlds?

Basically it's an online game engine that can be used to construct worlds, and those worlds are then bound together using Gates.  Players can explore these worlds freely, creating an endless content-based dreamscape, or a "Patchwork Universe".

Sort of like, oh let's say Yume Nikki was an online game with a level editor, and had Zelda-inspired gameplay.

As for what can be edited?  Pretty much anything.  On a basic level you've got tilemaps, backgrounds and sprites.  Sprites have a ton of built-in behaviors for newcomers to mess around with, and a full-blown function editor for coders.  You can upload graphics and sound files to the server, and each of these uploads can be assigned credits so you can legally use any online resource with a CC license (for example those found at OpenGameArt.org).  Resources and objects can be added to packages that other players can make use of in their worlds, and you can examine these objects to learn how to create similar ones.  You can also create items and equipment that can be saved across sessions, allowing you to make a save feature in your worlds.

A world can be anything from a single room to a full-blown adventure game.

Check it out here: BoundWorlds

I'd suggest checking out "Axis of Protea" first.  It's a pretty good demonstration of the sort of things that can be accomplished using the world editor.

(You can explore without logging in, but you need to log in to create a world or save items and sparks.)

Spoiler: Images (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Current Features (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Planned features (click to show/hide)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

Update!

You can now save a private draft of your world without overwriting the published version.  This will make it easier to make edits without messing up visitors.  Note that when using the "Explore" option, you will be exploring the public version - the World Editor will open the private draft instead.

I've cleaned up some duplicate credits, and added a search option for assigning credits to media files, making it easier when uploading multiple files by the same artist.  When assigning a website to an artist, use their main "personal" website or the place they generally put their work.  I've also added a field to the media file itself to link to the original source page.

I'm also planning to add a system to packages that automatically accumulates editors of an object, if that object was copied from a different user's package.  The automatic credit reel is close to being ready - the plan is to automatically sort all contributors under their main contribution or contributions (sprite graphics, background graphics, tile graphics, sound, music, object programming, and world design).  It will make your world look like a proper game with a whole team of contributors :)

I've organized the event list better, and added a few new options - setting the camera to follow a sprite (you can make an invisible "camera control" sprite if you like) and also a "Shift" option which is basically a teleport but also moves variables related to that sprite - its origin point, jump destinations, and damage text.  It won't be used much, but with some clever scripting you can use it to create the illusion of infinitely-scrolling areas.

As an example, I created a new world, the Cursed Forest.  It's basically an endless monster hunt where you can only escape by collecting 256 sparks and defeating a boss (rather difficult, I'd suggest getting some healing potions at the Protea shop first, but if you survive it's a great place for grinding sparks).  I'll probably use it to showcase more monsters and other random objects as I make them.

I've also added a new public package with a Chest and Mimic sprite.  Chests can contain a user-selected number of sparks, and if you place objects on top of them in the world editor they will "store" those objects inside them to be released when the player opens the chest.  (In reality, they transform all objects on the same tile as themselves into an invisible "contained object" sprite when created, then change them back when you open the chest.)  Oh, and also you can choose to make them Mimics that attack the player when opened.

I'm going to make a method of selecting an individual sprite's inventory (right now it only works on classes) which will be nice for both chests and shopkeepers.