Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quantum stockpiling clothing  (Read 2863 times)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quantum stockpiling clothing
« on: April 21, 2018, 10:20:27 pm »

I recently come to a problem about quantum stockpiling clothing.

Dwarfs seem to fill the minecart very slowly. The setting is correct and haulers are numerous. They occasionally put one or two piece into the cart, but for the most of the time they don't. It's not because the clothing is owned. Some of them are, but most aren't.

Other quantum stockpiles work just fine.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quantum stockpiling clothing
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 01:29:29 am »

I don't understand the question. You have a minecart, a QSP, and a regular stockpile. How are they connected?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 02:12:43 am »

Loading mine carts is a very low priority job, so dorfs generally don't start to load them until they're out of relevant stockpile hauling jobs (such as when the feeder stockpile gets full, at which time it stops generating jobs. Dorfs can then load a couple of items into the cart before the find that the stockpile now has published new jobs).

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 04:29:53 am »

I don't understand the question. You have a minecart, a QSP, and a regular stockpile. How are they connected?

QSP physically consists of a minecart, a track stop, a stockpile, and another stockpile.

Loading mine carts is a very low priority job, so dorfs generally don't start to load them until they're out of relevant stockpile hauling jobs (such as when the feeder stockpile gets full, at which time it stops generating jobs. Dorfs can then load a couple of items into the cart before the find that the stockpile now has published new jobs).

I understand it is low priority, but it is even much lower than other loading minecart job. Other feeder pile usually stay empty, but this pile is always not empty, while dwarfs are singing and dancing in the tavern.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

n_ll

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 08:34:03 am »

patrick (and others), you mentioned that mine carts are low on the totem poll of jobs to do; which reminded me of a potentially dumb question ive been meaning to ask... what exactly determines the priority of particular jobs? is there a way to adjust any of it in the raws? (for instance, i never understood why fishing was so high priority..)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 01:26:52 pm »

There is a small number of jobs that have adjustable priorities, such as digging, cutting trees/gathering plants, and removing (but not building!) walls and similar constructions (and you have a new Now! job modifierS). These jobs all use designations for their specificatioN.
I know of no way to adjust priorities between job categorieS.
Otherwise, jobs seem to be chosen based on proximity, at least to some extenT.

The reason fishing is so high priority is probably because DF doesn't have golF...

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 08:23:59 pm »

I suspect fishing gets high priority because the creation of a fishing job does not involve the lists of workshops, stockpiles, or other things. Maybe there is a section of code that says "before we go down each of the workshop/construction/designation/stockpile lists to create jobs, is there any dwarf that wants to go fishing or hunting?"... and if there is a water location or wild animals that they can path to, the job is created and the dwarf is immediately assigned. You just notice it less with hunters.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 02:20:26 am »

Why not just dump the clothes by hand? What does the minecart contribute?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 03:36:12 am »

The dump feature is a singular resource. You can have multiple minecart QS', but only a single use for manual dumping acting at a time, or you'd get your masterworks clothing dumped into the magma incinerator and gobbo corpses onto your clothing stockpile rather frequently.
Manual dumping is reserved for prisoner stripping in my fortresses (with occasional brief usages for other purposes, such as dumping FB remains too large to be loaded into minecarts, thus filling up my refuse QS feeder stockpile, dumped into the former sapient corpse compactor for disposal).

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 11:23:27 pm »

Heck, why move them at all? The items made at the clothier's workshop are pretty small, so they can stack up in there for a while before cluttering the workshop.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 12:03:24 am »

Heck, why move them at all? The items made at the clothier's workshop are pretty small, so they can stack up in there for a while before cluttering the workshop.
I guess some people like the idea of a maximally automated fort, and they use lots of burrows and minecarts. To each their own. I'm usually trying to get rid of stuff, rather than making more.

I routinely use three types of QSPs: 1) the semi-garbage QSP to pull in random litter and sort it out later, 2) the garbage QSP onto the atom smasher, 3) the stone QSP to clean up the floor and put a pile of stone next to the masons' shops.

Thinking about it, I should probably try using QSPs with gem workshops to force specific stones onto specific items.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 04:09:52 am »

I wish dwarf only wear one piece for each body part...

The gigantic pile of clothing migrates into the fort alone with dwarfs. Let alone the goblin soldiers. There are thousands of clothing, more than there are seeds. Most of them are owned, worn on dwarfs. They are gradually changed out, when new clothing comes.

I need to get rid of them in a routinely manner. One time mass dump only dump a few that are not owned, which is not many.

I make a new fortress now, and I'll see if I can quantum clothing this time.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 06:40:34 pm »

Dwarves kind of have to remove clothes from the workshop in order to wear them. Can't really put them back after that.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?