Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minecart stomper: question  (Read 1186 times)

DiacetylMorphine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minecart stomper: question
« on: April 20, 2018, 09:01:46 am »

Hey fellow dwarves, in relation to this bug : http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6068 I had the idea to weaponise the thing. The basic idea would be an halway two tiles large with loaded minecart falling on the floor above and reseting automaticly. I was wondering whether someone might have an idea to make the halway larger (3 tiles need to have a system to get the midles cart back on top). And also if anyone know some tricks to get pulling the minecart up easy.

I'll probably give update if i manage to make it work.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart stomper: question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 12:06:53 pm »

First verify if the functionality is still present. If so, I'd first try landing on an impulse ramp, and if that doesn't work, onto rollers, and if that doesn't work, onto a pressure plate that sets off a mine cart that pushes both.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 12:48:20 pm »

I last tried it out in, i think 0.44.03? Worked fine, although it was a pure testing rig, not intended for military use:

Minecart stuff is in the spoiler.

Testing is a good idea, but chances are pretty good that the bug's still present.

Landing space is of no concern - ramps work fine, hatches work fine, i see no reason why rollers or plates should give trouble.

The main issue is getting the cart(s) re-launched fast enough that the targets get hit somewhat reliably; if you have a 30+ step return time, you have about a 1/3 chance of hitting a creature walking underneath, about 1/10 for a running creature; obviously, the solution to that problem is making the percussion corridor (much) longer, but i don't know what kind of construction cost you're willing to bear.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 05:51:08 pm »

Bug still works, but creatures dodge. Falling onto rollers is no problem. When I was testing mine, I found that stationing three dwarves underneath the drop tile would only cause a fatality when the three of them were standing next to each other and leaving the middle dwarf no empty space to move to. Creatures will also dodge lighter minecarts dropped from two levels up.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 05:53:05 pm »

The bug still works, but creatures dodge. Falling onto rollers is no problem. When I was testing mine, I found that stationing three dwarves underneath the drop tile would only cause a fatality when the three of them were standing next to each other and leaving the middle dwarf no empty space to move to. Creatures will also dodge lighter minecarts dropped from two levels up.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 01:04:31 am »

If you want 3 wide, I'd go with rollers. With some design effort you should be able to get more than one minecart in a loop falling on each tile and get it down to something like 11-12 ticks per strike, which is the time it takes for a minecart to begin falling after striking the wall opposite an open shaft.

Does anyone know if a column of falling minecarts still compact into a single tile, one above where they land? The last time I messed with dropping minecarts in shafts, they would all accumulate 1 tile above the landing, (pretty sure they were staying as projectiles), and materialize one at a time at the bottom, with the next one arriving only after the previous one was cleared.

If that still happens AND they retain their falling inertia, (which would be quite the combination of bugs), then you could achieve a faster strike rate by leaving the virtual carts stacked above the strike location.

Ooh, here's another idea: drop the minecarts from multiple drop stations at different z-levels above the target tile! It would be even more work to get the timing right, but it only takes what, 5-6 ticks? for a highest speed roller to clear the landing tile. If you had multiple drop stations above each x/y position, the the time to clear the drop location would be your rate limiting factor.

For this bug, it sounds like minecart mass matters. Eurgh. Well, then, since you're falling and not doing horizontal collisions, load those gold minecarts full of gold minecarts full of gold minecarts... May as well turn it into a cloud-of-body-parts generator, since you're already going this far to abuse visitors.

DiacetylMorphine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 03:23:17 pm »

I plan on putting regular trap down there to abuse dodging attacker. The multiple drop site idea sounds cool but i'll test the minecart stack and signle hatch first. I could not play this week end so i didn't advance much, but even so: thank you for the timely advice and tips. That'll save me a lot of trouble.