Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water Wheel Troubles  (Read 1065 times)

NikitaTheStag

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Water Wheel Troubles
« on: April 26, 2018, 02:12:47 pm »

Hey all!
I'm having some issues with getting my water wheels to work properly. I have the water going around a loop of 4 water wheels joined by axles and gears before reaching a screw pump. I know I'm doing it right because I have a total power of 100, so at least one of them is working, but the others are not. The animation shows them all turning though (I guess the power from the working one is turning them all?)
anyway, here's what it looks like. (No water under in the screenshot as it's currently powered down)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6txd2c571sv1kyt/Screenshot%202018-04-26%2011.58.17.png?dl=0

edit: upon starting and stopping the water flow, I've found I can sometimes get the power up to 400, which it should be at, but it immediately drops back down to 100 :(
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 02:32:11 pm by NikitaTheStag »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water Wheel Troubles
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 05:17:47 pm »

Fluid flow can behave in rather odd ways, with water teleporting from start to exit if everything is full. I'd search the wiki for a description of the Dwarven Water Reactor, as I'd expect it has an explanation of how to make sure you get it to have a flow.
Personally I induce permanent flow in aquifers for my water wheels and have never implemented a water reactor. It's cheaty (as is a reactor), but since there's no actual water moving the FPS impact should be very low.

Naia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 07:34:42 pm »

Water loose pressure when moving diagonally.

So the water under the two pumps East and the one North, is likely changing between flowing and not flowing rapidly. The west one works, due to the pump taking water directly behind it, and new water steadily flowing under it.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 10:27:18 am »

I don't know how water flows based on your picture, but unless you have a constant flow underneath, you practically never get the full power. I've been using water reactors and the like for as long as I remember, and I rarely get more than 700 continuous power out of 10 wheels. I get full 1000 at the start, but in time it goes down and stabilises at lower level (like 70% or so). Without supplementing water occasionally the power output falls further, till it's too small to move all attached wheels and mechanisms, and the reactor stops. This is due to water evaporation. And fluctuating power is normal with reactors, so you need to observe it a bit and then average, to get actual power rating.

Hence it's hard to do an infinite reactor, I always build a "starter" mechanism, to ditch new quantity of water in case it stopped on its own, or I had to stop it manually for maintenance (the last one was especially frequent when trees were one tile big).

Also, every wheel needs 10 power to move, so one working wheel can move a couple of others, plus attached gears and axles (hence the animation). If you have only one wheel, then it uses 10 power out of 100 produced, giving your net power of 90, but some of this is always used by the axle or gear required by the wheel, plus the rest of transmission line.

Most of problems can be avoided by utilising either an aquifer or a constant source of water, like river, instead of a reactor. Advantage of reactor is that it can be almost completely isolated (and thus protected from enemies), easily scaled (if you thought about it) and built where you want it, even far from water sources, like down there near magma.

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 10:52:22 pm »

I think its cause your waterwheels are in "series". The first one produces power, but the water isn't flowing enough for the other three to produce power. You'll have to build them in "parallel" (quotes added because these aren't circuits).

The Dwarven Water Reactor page is the way to go.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Water_wheel#Dwarven_Water_Reactor