Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Booze droppers  (Read 2397 times)

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Booze droppers
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 04:07:07 pm »

I wanted to see how you guys do booze droppers for isolated dwarfs.... Last time I tried it demanded a shit tone of micro management....

A simple minecart route can fully automate the process. Dwarves load the cart full of booze and push it down the track, through two statues (blocking dwarf-access to the tracks), and dumping the booze in the isolated area. Dwarves in the isolated area drink the booze and load the empty containers back into the cart. Once the cart fills up it's pushed back out for a refill.

I noticed that (some of) my boulders were simply vanishing...

The game already has a "wear/damage" tracking system for objects, and Toady would very likely use it for "falling damage" much like it is now used for "fire damage", "combat damage", and "throwing damage". Having falling items simply disappear seems rather unlikely.

I tested dumping booze barrels down a 30+ z pit in v0.44.09. Whether dwarf-dumped, minecart-dumped, or "tossed" by a retracting bridge, all the barrels survived the plunge. I then set the dwarves to repeatedly load the barrels into the minecart and let it run a while. By the time all the booze had been consumed there still weren't any damaged or missing barrels.

I'm not sure where your missing items disappeared to, but if you post your save it might clarify the matter.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 01:35:46 am »

It might have been a bug that got fixed. As I said, it was a very long time ago-- it just put me off this kind of dumper.  If it no longer does this, then the only issue is ensuring that dwarves are not under the dump zone, and that there are walls to contain spillage in the drop site.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 02:48:59 am »

It might have been a bug that got fixed. As I said, it was a very long time ago-- it just put me off this kind of dumper.  If it no longer does this, then the only issue is ensuring that dwarves are not under the dump zone, and that there are walls to contain spillage in the drop site.
A protective retracting drawbridge is commonly used to protect dorfs. Stuff gets collected on the drawbridge, and you then lock the doors when nobody is inside, pull the lever to drop the stuff, and then again to enable the protection, and then unlock the door for collection.

However, when I've set up a distribution, I've used a mine cart chute to drop the loaded cart down onto a ramp with carved tracks, pass by a track stop to dump the contents, and then use an impulse ramp driven upwards spiral track around the chute to return the cart back up to be filled again. If you've got two way traffic you can instead have the cart loaded on the bottom before sending it up.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 07:33:07 am »

Spillage in the drop site? Of the stuff in the barrels? 
BRB, just dumping a load of GCS venom barrels over the ammo stockpile.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 07:55:35 am »

I think people tried to poison bolts many times, and it never worked, sadly.  :( I think it was because venom coating just didnt worked?

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 02:52:33 am »

I remember one time in a succession game someone set up a hole to dump items into magma without any special construction. Does anyone know how to set this up?
Easiest way I know is short minecart path but instead of quantum stockpile it lands into the lava.
X--->X(lava)
I like to use it for vermin remains etc.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 04:35:45 am »

I think people tried to poison bolts many times, and it never worked, sadly.  :( I think it was because venom coating just didnt worked?

Forgotten beast dust and blood coating certainly worked at some point. One needs to get the GCS venom out of the barrel an onto the floor, and then drop bolts on the pool of GCS venom.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2018, 05:17:25 am »

I've been trying to 'derail' venom out of the barrel using minecarts lately, but have not got that to work.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2018, 11:26:41 am »

Wait for 400 years and the barrel will disintegrate.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 12:04:01 pm »

mark the contents of the barrel for dumping. Dwarves will try to take it out of the barrel, fail, and leave a puddle.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 03:24:46 pm »

mark the contents of the barrel for dumping. Dwarves will try to take it out of the barrel, fail, and leave a puddle.
Marking the barrel for dumping or hauling to the trade depot while 'f'orbidding the contents out to work as well.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2018, 07:16:37 am »

I think the issue was that venom needs to be injected. That probably didn't happen with weapons, but the recent changes to weapon traps may have fixed it.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 [2]