Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Happy thoughts from furniture: quality vs value?  (Read 1211 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Happy thoughts from furniture: quality vs value?
« on: April 16, 2018, 10:25:55 pm »

With the upcoming revamp of emotions & psyche, I started thinking about all the little tricks for morale boosting, which I haven't needed since v34.  Do we know if quality or value have a greater effect on a Dorf's happiness, or are they equal?  For example, would a ☼Granite Cabinet☼ worth 500 Dwarf Bucks give a stronger happy thought than a -Gold Chest- worth 3,000?  Or do crappy-but-valuable items have a greater impact?  I'm also wondering if being near coffins will still generate happy thoughts due to craftdwarfship, or if that will actually be depressing now.

I suspect that we'll need some hardcore !SCIENCE! to unravel the Dwarves' new brains once the update goes live.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Happy thoughts from furniture: quality vs value?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 03:31:52 am »

I would expect a strong influence from preferences for object type and material.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 03:46:41 am »

And I would expect the tragic slaughter of a dwarf's children and forcing them to ensure the decay of some loved ones will no longer be insta-fixed by nice furniture.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 05:17:59 am »

The current thoughts refer to the item type and quality level, although there are a couple of fields that haven't been understood (one of which usually is zero). Thus, I would expect it to be quality based. The quality level of rooms is computed differently from furniture, and seems to be value based, but there also seems to be an expectation adjustment, so a noble scoffs at anything not up to his standards, even if ordinary dorfs would like them.
It would, however, be nice if preferences played a role, and it might, in that some thoughts are suppressed, i.e. they exist as data, but are not displayed, so something liked might be less likely to result in a suppressed thought. This is pure speculation, though.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 10:26:39 am »

For the data collection portion of the scienc'ing, create 15 or 20 prison suites and lock two or three dwarfs in each. If each suite has a limited and unique variety of foods and furniture, you'll be able to lock them up for a few years and database their thoughts and preferences each season or so.

The uniqueness of the furniture and foods will let you determine what thing they are happy about (so, only one bed per suite, only one table, only one chair, only one food type, only one booze type, etc. If you have enough suites, you will have accidental preference matches, and will be able to discard suite data from suites where a dwarf mooded. If each suite of dwarfs is in their own squad, you can move them into the suites easier and can sort them in Dwarf Therapist by squad. But I would avoid giving them a barracks to train in so they do not become fixated on training, as socializing and praying seem to be better choices for all the idle time.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 01:54:25 pm »

I hope that with the personality overhaul, that dwarfs will stop having preferences for things that they may have never come into contact with or have heard of.   I suppose there's always the case of discovering something new and having a great liking to it, but that shouldn't really be a preference?  Preferences should be generated from things that the civ has been exposed to at least common enough (even if rarely) that some dwarfs could even have a chance to develop a preference for it.

Llamageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 04:54:04 pm »

That makes a lot of sense and I would have thought is doable. The game already knows what kinds of items and livestock they have so I imagine dwarf preferences could be generated from the same info. It could even be weighted so that their preferences reflect the spheres of any deities they worship. Gems for wealth, weapons for war, ??? for fertility ;)

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 11:14:25 pm »

As mentioned, value matters for room quality. So poorly made gold furniture would be useful if you want happy thoughts from dining in a Legendary Dining Room. That's not a furniture happy thought, per se, but you could achieve much the same thing. Something to think about when placing furniture.