Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minecraft server: Civclassic: Dwarven Nation  (Read 1416 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Minecraft server: Civclassic: Dwarven Nation
« on: April 03, 2018, 03:07:09 pm »

There is a Minecraft server named Civclassic. In Civclassic, you play Minecraft as you normally would, using vanilla Minecraft, in the latest version, but, there are hundereds of plugins, all amounting to this: Civclassic is a server built around creating nations and cultures and civlizations. And I was wondering.
Could we make a Bay12 Dwarf - themed Civclassics nation?

The Bay12 Dwarven Nation
(Currently recruiting and eagerly accepting suggestions)

Anyone may jpin this, by typing in the IP adress of Civclassics and running the game (The ip is mc.civclassic.com). However, before you do that, let's plan this out.
[Warning: Politics ahead!]
At the top of the heap is the Low king, ruler of the nation, King of kings, Armok's chosen, etc. Etc. I will be undertaking this role until the nation's infarstructure is set up, and once the capital is at least partially complete. However, once I step down, there will be an election for the next High king. He will get  the rest of the month in office, as well as the next month, but after that, therw will be a new election. Each month, the current Low King must step down and a new must take his place. If someone goes a second time, he will be known for his second term as Urist II, and if he has a third, Urist III, and so on and so forth. Below him are then seven Chieftains or kings or whatever they get named. These will be the Kings of Seven "Folk", with the Royal city seperately administrated. The Kings/Chieftains have full rulership over their Folks, and serve the exact same term as the Low king, each month being re-elected. They must all swear loyalty to the Low king, and the Low king can overrule any decision they make.
Any Dorf has a vote. One vote. One for the Low king, and one for the Chief of their Folk. Any Dorf may put themself up for office. Each Dorf will chose a Folk to join, although they can live anywhere within the nation. They may change their folk by asking the Chief of the different folk. They do not need permission to leave.

There will be a strict Building code: Build Dorven stuff!
That's about it. If it's sufficiently Dorfy, go ahead.

One fort for each Clan, and another being the capital.

Any Dorf may join the army.

I think you get the idea, so I'll stop. Please mention below if you wish to join, and if you want to name a Folk and become it's first ruler, go ahead.

Please say anything you wish to say below: I would also like to spask, if we get enough peopel, should we mention this on the Bay12 discord?

I'm tired, so I'll stop now and organiza this more in the morning.
And remember : BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft server: Civclassic: Dwarven Nation
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 04:04:47 pm »

you play Minecraft as you normally would, using vanilla Minecraft...but, there are hundereds of plugins

You lost me right there.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 01:18:09 am »

Plugins are like commands put in, without changing the base game, like in servers where you try to open doors but it says they're locked.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 07:37:36 am »

Okay, sounds great.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 05:41:30 am »

Is somebody going to host this server, or are you going to use this guy's server?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 08:18:15 am »

Is somebody going to host this server, or are you going to use this guy's server?
This is someone else's server that has existed a wee while, although I don't really think this is going to happen at this point, unless a lot of people would be willing to play.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 06:22:21 pm »

I have a place ready if anyone wants to join.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 07:17:19 pm »

you play Minecraft as you normally would, using vanilla Minecraft...but, there are hundereds of plugins

You lost me right there.

Looks like it only has 7-8 plugins based on the website, and they don't change vanilla gameplay too much other than adding factories.

This looks interesting, and is something that hit my radar a while ago. The game also currently has a unique history: https://imgur.com/a/uafV0

It seems like the two main game mechanics are pearling, where you can permanently imprison people in ender pearls until you release them or someone else does by taking the pearl and breaking it (keeping people imprisoned takes a daily intake of coal that is fairly expensive), and through factories, which have a high setup cost but allow things to be made cheaper, promoting commerce / trade and specialization.

It looks pretty cool and they have geopolitics, e-lawyers, and a pretty neat looking political map of the world (world is limited and is all claimed currently, promoting cooperation / conflict). Something I would be interested in trying soon, at least from the economic perspective. PVP in minecraft is pretty terrible.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 09:02:57 am »

I haven't played a Minecraft server in forever, but I may have some time next semester. I'll.be following.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 06:38:56 am »

Tried this today and wandered around for a bit. There are no warps / tp and you spawn randomly in the world. I like this since it encourages railroads and infrastructure and also stops nations from expanding in incoherent ways.

I couldn't find anyone and the render limit is 5 chunks, so that kinda sucks. Chat is also limited to 1000 blocks so finding a country in game is hard to do unless you coordinate out of game. Either way it's kinda cool and promotes a sort of "diplomatic range" where after a certain point you don't care about the activities of another nation if they are far enough for you.

Oh yeah, and beds. Since you spawn randomly when you die and there is no tp, beds are important.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 02:42:22 am »

I am in the process of repurposing an old NAS appliance.

I have found that it works just fine as a small Minecraft server, as long as I use the Spigot server build.  The hardware is about on par with a raspberry pi, which is often used for small servers like this, and at least on my LAN it runs at playable speeds. (The official mojang server cant handle it on this hardware though.)  It has a dual core ARMv7 with hardware floatingpoint and a custom linux kernel running at the moment.  I really think I could handle about 5 to 7 simultaneous users.  (I would need to play-test the server under load to determine what its real max is.)

I can totally load it up with these plugins and put it up for play. I am curious what it can handle.