Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the temperature of a flame based FB/titan?  (Read 1681 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's the temperature of a flame based FB/titan?
« on: April 10, 2018, 09:24:23 am »

The reason for the question is that I've had green glass repeating menacing spike traps destroyed by killing two fire based FBs. In the first case that left 10 "green glass" strewn about, while in the second it left 6 "green glass" and 4 unharmed spikes. Those "green glass" could be dumped, but they seemed to evaporate, as they disappeared over time (note: "green glass", not "raw green glass").
The FB part left behind had a temperature of something in the 11000 Urist range, while the melting point for green glass is in the 13000 range, so unless the whole creature is a lot hotter than the part left behind it shouldn't be hot enough to melt glass.

The previous fortresses were pre trap wear crash ones where flame based critters weren't a problem, so this is a new issue to me. If someone has killed flame based critters with iron/steel menacing spikes it would be interesting to know if those traps survived.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the temperature of a flame based FB/titan?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 09:45:46 am »

Fire-breathing forgotten beasts are my favorite. I had a fire-breathing eyeless python visit me once, and he kept clear-cutting the cavern layers of fps-killing trees. He also didn't appear to be immune to his own fire, because his fat melted away early on. After that, fire didn't seem to bother him, and he proceeded to kill a few other FB visitors for me. I'm quite a fan, honestly. I even commissioned a couple statues of him striking down other FBs.

As for his actual temperature, I don't think I ever checked. Presumably hot enough for fat to melt, I suppose.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
LOP;.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 12:26:15 pm »

I had a dragon attack and murderize an early x-bow militia thanks to some poor bunker design (who knew dragons can use hatches too?).  What was interesting was, half a season later, a fire started in my underground fort.  It took me a save-scum to understand how - it was in the soil layer, I had breached caverns so moss was everywhere, and eventually I noticed one of my coffins was on fire.  I had buried one of my dead marksdwarves temporarily on that level after the dragon attack.  It turns out, the teeth that had been buried with him were at some crazy temperature, probably from all the dragonfire breath the thing was spamming.

So I mention this only to suggest: I've never checked the temperature of a dragon but I suspect it's not high enough to set things on fire, its the dragonfire that does it.  Could the attack of these FB's or some effect separate from its internal temperature have done it? 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 12:31:50 pm by Werdna »
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 12:35:38 pm »

Sorry, but both of you talk about fire BREATHING critters, while I tried to ask about fire based ones, i.e. those composed of flame. I don't expect fire breathers to be particularly warm themselves (bombardier beetles aren't hotter than other beetles, except temporarily when firing).

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 12:45:59 pm »

I understand, but you are looking for a source of heat higher than the body temperature that you checked even if that body was composed of flame.  Items don't appear to cool naturally unless acted upon (ie the dwarven teeth I tested stayed at that temperature indefinitely, until I dropped water on it, and then they cooled) so I'd guess your FB was also 11000, living.  So I was only suggesting, perhaps the FB has a special attack with a separate (> 13k) temperature associated with it - like creatures with fire breath do.  Maybe the temperature calculation of its effect on its environment uses a separate temperature than the temperature associated with it.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 02:21:21 pm »

I would wonder if the glass isnt being melted, but the mechanisms making up the traps are, and the glass is simply taking on heat and being melted due to a bug. The creatures homeotherm might also be defined as much higher than the fixed temperature of the flame material its made out of, and so objects it contact are being heated to that increased body temperature, while the remains and the creature itself are registered at the material's temperature.

If the creatures are actively breathing fire jets or something, im sure that would have been mentioned.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 03:22:34 pm »

In material_template_default there is a "FLAME_TEMPLATE" which according to the comment is "for creatures that are 'made of fire'." The fixed temp of this material is 14000 - hot enough to melt the green glass.

I don't know if that's actually used, or why the body part would be only ~11000 U, but it's there.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 04:39:53 pm »

Thanks Loam, that's probably it. That makes it tricky to deal with large numbers of flame based critters.

I've never seen flame based critters also breath flame, but even if it had been capable of doing so, it didn't have any reason to, as there were no enemies nearby, just a bait (wooden) door that wasn't even set on fire.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 10:24:56 pm »

Don't they explode when they die?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 11:36:36 pm »

No, but I think they drop "<creature name>'s flames" instead of a normal corpse.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 02:10:25 am »

No, but I think they drop "<creature name>'s flames" instead of a normal corpse.
Yes, and it was that flame part that was at 11000U. I haven't seen any explosions, but I don't engage them with militia. The ones I've killed with ballistae haven't given indications of exploding (those are the ones I've witnessed while they were killed: the trap kills were expected to take care of themselves in the background).