Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Explanations of GROWDUR vs GROWTH w/ or w/o GROWTH_TIMING  (Read 611 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Explanations of GROWDUR vs GROWTH w/ or w/o GROWTH_TIMING
« on: April 08, 2018, 09:19:42 pm »

I'm trying to update my aboveground crops to have more realistic growth seasons and growth durations, and I'm confused by how all this works. Can someone explain the interactions between GROWDUR and GROWTH (with or without GROWTH_TIMING) on farmed vs wild plants? Specifically:

1) Are either of these limited only to farmed/wild version? (Say does growths only apply to wild plants?)
2) Is GROWTH_TIMING after planting or for the whole year? (How does that work on planted versions?)
3) If it is for the whole year, what happens if a growth is set for a season that isn't one the plant grows in?
4) What about farmed plants? If GROWTH_TIMING affects farmed plants does that mean I would only get, say, flowers if I harvested a plant in a particular bit of time?
5) What about GROWTH_DROPS_OFF? Does that do anything on wild/farmed non-trees?

On trees the system seems fairly straightforwards, but on non-tree plants (wild and farmed) it's been kinda confusing and the last person who asked the question literally just got a reply with a link to the plant tokens page, which doesn't answer anything really.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Explanations of GROWDUR vs GROWTH w/ or w/o GROWTH_TIMING
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 03:41:14 pm »

As far as I know, GROWDUR is a straightforward timer for how long a planted crop takes to reach harvest in a farm plot. A season is about 1000 GROWDUR units. However, I've seen crops self-delete sometimes if they don't have time to finish their GROWDUR before an invalid season comes up, so very high GROWDUR only works for all-season plants.

For growths, I got no clue.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!